The 2024 Music Thread

Hobo

Just now, Colly said:

I think it's tricky, it would have been daft to call themselves something different then played LP songs live anyway, this is clearly a continuation of the band. If they keep writing and performing new stuff I'm all for it, if they start flogging the songs to detergent commercials like May and Taylor for decades less so...

Well all know the one outside place that Linkin Park songs belong.

AMV videos created by teenagers picking up Windows Movie Maker for the first time posted in 280p on YouTube.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Catch up. Mostly albums but some singles to.

Geordie Greep's Holy Holy is the song of the year. I don't know how to describe it. It takes multiple genres and throws it into a blender. But he only turns the blender on for two seconds so everything closely resembles it's original form but it has blended together with the other elements. It's like if Black Midi said "let's keep it complicated but more fun but also incredibly dark". When the guitar solo kicks in midway through the song you think "we are wrapping up". But it keeps going. And I haven't even touched upon the lyrics. Fascinating, a singular point of view, provocative. 

I imagine I may like Charli XCX album less than others at the end, but what a tour de force. That remix with Troye Sivan on Talk Talk is incredible. It feels like Troye and Charli doing a lap to show what a year they have. And I'll see them together on Monday. 

The Dare album is not that interesting. So much discourse about bland uninteresting songs. 

The MJ Lenderman album is really good. I can see why it would be someone's album of the year. Great songwriting. I feel like this will be in my head constantly next year. Definitely a grower. 

The Fontaine DC album was okay. I do not understand the hype. 

The new Spirit of the Beehive was ok. Felt like they lost about of their perspective and point of view. Felt a bit all over the place and a little bland. 

I fully believe that Sabrina Carpenter is the act of record labels brute forcing her into existence. I thought her album was poor. Nothing stood out. In a year of so much pop excellence and even from newer pop stars, but I just don't know what is supposed to stand out for her. 

The new X album was cool. They can still rip and rock.

The Jack White album felt like Jack White trying to get back into Stripes territory. What's the over under on that reunion? Next year?

The new Childish Gambino was good.