Sony Megathread 2024

Maxx

Yep - this is a big nothing burger. These late generation things are no where near as interesting as they should be and always end up forgotten about by the time the next console comes out in terms of the strides they took. The current PS5 is fine - I have a slim and it's doing perfectly fine. This generation is perfectly fine, and I'd rather see jumps in developer's improving performance and data sizing methods vs. just throwing more power at shit so devs can just ignore the real problem.

• Like 2

I also couldn't notice a difference. 🤣

It being 45% better at rendering is a good thing, and it running even quicker than the already speedy PS5 is great too. Didn't catch it all, but saw in the rumours it's around 100GB more storage?

1 minute ago, Colly said:

Changes are so incrementally tiny these days, I don't think I could spot a difference between any of the clips (granted I'm watching on a phone) and nor would I expect to.

I was going to say that I can only just notice a difference between PS4 and PS5 games. They can throw out as many numbers as the like, but to the human eye, the curve has flattened significantly.

I also think that, as graphical technology improves, you're more likely to notice the slight imperfections. For all the money and time put towards making environments look realistic, you're always going to get a bit of pop-in and visual glitches, and even the wealthiest film studios haven't quite been able to render completely convincing human faces.

• Like 1

Just now, Baddar said:

Wait it's digital only? At least without the disc drive thing that attaches to the slim?

Wow, I only just noticed that too. You can add another £100 for the attachable disc drive if you want to play any physical media.

Not even tossing the stand in there as a free extra is ridiculous. If you don't have a lot of extra space - putting a PS5, even the slim one vertical is almost essential - and having to add one on when I bought my Slim was just a part of the purchase price for me - that made up the sale price that I got it on.

Just having a hard time telling who this is for - there are the diehards that'll get it for sure, but at some point if you're pushing that much cash at performance and what not, you're going to fall into the "well I should probably just get a gaming PC" crowd eventually. Especially with Sony games going there now too.

• Like 1

It's too early to tell right now, but I really hope Sony isn't starting to slip back into the bad habits of the PS3 launch, the last time they considered themselves to be on the verge of an industry monopoly.

With Microsoft now releasing games on the PS5 (and having released its first-party console games day-and-date on PC), and with Nintendo existing in its own space, Sony is coming worryingly close to being the on its own as the dominant player in its particular market area. On paper, having everything come out on a single console is nice, but I don't trust Sony to sell the next console at what I'd consider to be a reasonable price.

6 hours ago, Ruki said:

I'm worried that the next console generation will be entirely digital. I like to sell my completed games so I can use that money to get other games...

This is where at least 50% of my game money comes from. If I've finished a game it is highly unlikely that I will want to play it again. Of course there are some exceptions but most of my completed stuff I sell on.

• Like 1

I think it's quite shitty to do it mid-gen though. If PS6 is digital only from the start, people won't have a bunch of physical games sitting there for it that they can't play, which is what the PS5 Pro is doing. It's either forcing the extra disc drive purchase, or for people to keep the standard PS5 as well. 

The market is there for the PS diehards, or for those who haven't made the jump from PS4 yet so they can opt to pay more to get the beefier one in terms of specs, but I don't see that much of an incentive for current PS5 owners.

On 10/09/2024 at 16:15, Baddar said:

Funny thing is, it'll probably be the only console capable of running GTA 6 at a steady 60fps so that'll be a selling point in itself.

According to Digital Foundry, the PS5 Pro probably won't be able to run GTA 6 at 60fps. It's because it uses the same CPU as the standard PS5, so if the game targets 30fps on the base consoles, it's unlikely to get a frame rate roost on the Pro.