Sony Megathread 2024

Maxx

Three months ago this thing was the leadoff game in Sony's State of Play video. It didn't make it two weeks after release before they straight-up pulled it and started offering refunds. Good lord.

2 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

Three months ago this thing was the leadoff game in Sony's State of Play video. It didn't make it two weeks after release before they straight-up pulled it and started offering refunds. Good lord.

I thought the game looked interesting with the cinematic... but then the reveal of a multiplayer hero shooter that cost money... bleh. I feel sorry for the developers.

• Like 1

The recent glut of live service hero shooters reminds me of the mid-to-late 2000s, when several companies released MMORPGs to try to get a slice of the World of Warcraft pie. It was a trend that didn't last very long because it became clear that, unless you made something really, really good, you weren't going to take people away from something that was already their main source of entertainment.

Similarly, with live service games, you can only really commit to a small number of them. If you're already hooked on one hero shooter, you probably won't be lured away by another beyond the initial one or two tries. Given that that's when a new game is at its most feature-barren, it's not likely to be enough to bring enough people on board for the long haul.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ruki said:

I thought the game looked interesting with the cinematic... but then the reveal of a multiplayer hero shooter that cost money... bleh. I feel sorry for the developers.

Agree with this part. Otherwise yeah just another greedy cash grab that I'm happy failed. Studios need to get the message

Yep - this is an instance where I feel bad for the developers for certain. The leadership behind this project failed them in absolutely every way. From the jump when it was revealed what it was going to be - it was clear that no one knew what this supposed to be. "Make us an Apex" seemed to be the only direction and now people are likely going to lose their jobs because Sony decided to hunt something that had such, such a small chance of working out. The multiplayer shooters that work these days are either deeply ingrained (and even some of those are failing hard) or primed for crossovers and Concord was none of that.

On the bright side, Astro Bot is out this week and that should at the very least be a good time. Now that they've shown it expanded out to be what I wanted to see from it I think I'll be picking it up. Went in tonight to the Playroom and go all of the secret, extra achievements they added a bit ago since I heard there was some carry-over.

Astro Bot is getting stellar reviews, which doesn't surprise me. I'm going to be really intrigued by its sales figures. Astro Bot Rescue Mission game was always limited commercially by its status as a VR game, while Astro's Playroom is downloadable for free. This will be an interesting test of the Astro Bot IP's potential as a big Playstation franchise.

54 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I always thought those surveys were a complete scam. They actually work?

They do! I make about... 20-40ish a month through one, and about 10ish through Microsoft Bing Rewards (you get lots playing Xbox). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Ruki said:

Astro Bot is so good. I just finished the first world ,and it's so charming and fun. I managed to find all but 5 of the bots and two other collectables that I am not sure what they are. 

Was coming in to say the same thing - got through the first world entirely 100% and then work on the first level of the next while doing some of the other little things. Very, very charming game that plays great and has AMAZINGLY catchy music.

A great features is replaying a level - you can spend 200 coins for a little bird friend that helps to direct you to collectibles that you missed the first time through.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, apsham said:

Was coming in to say the same thing - got through the first world entirely 100% and then work on the first level of the next while doing some of the other little things. Very, very charming game that plays great and has AMAZINGLY catchy music.

A great features is replaying a level - you can spend 200 coins for a little bird friend that helps to direct you to collectibles that you missed the first time through.

For real? That is AMAZING! Now I can figure out what those galaxy(?) tokens are that I have been unable to find!

Astro Bot is seriously giving Mario a run for his money for 'best platforming' game. Team Asobi have done something really special here. 

21 minutes ago, Ruki said:

For real? That is AMAZING! Now I can figure out what those galaxy(?) tokens are that I have been unable to find!

Astro Bot is seriously giving Mario a run for his money for 'best platforming' game. Team Asobi have done something really special here. 

Yeah! It's in a little "break in case of emergency" type cage at the start.

But that might not help if what you're looking for is in one of the bonus type levels. I'm going to assume you've run into the little one off levels that might pop up that you can activate from space - but those usually only have one bot or so in them from what I can tell.

• Like 1