General Movie Thread 2024

Lint

On 17/10/2024 at 21:37, RPS said:

Dumb and Dumber: watched this with my kids. Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels make this movie. Put any other two actors in it and it stinks. They fully commit to every bit. 

I know it's not cool or remotely critically acclaimed, but I still think it's probably my favourite comedy film. There's lots of gross out bits which you can tire of but the script is so densely packed with jokes I still come back to it. Yes Jim Carrey falling from a height is funny, but to follow it up with "I fell off the jet way again" is what sets it apart. Add those performances, and a lovely soundtrack (fucking Echobelly?). Love it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lint said:

Oh this looks good I think

I'm taking a wait and see approach, but I'm looking forward to seeing it. I've seen the wolf man design, and I was highly disappointed by it. Not horrible creature work, but not representative of traditional werewolves... which had me wondering why it's called the Wolf Man and not something else. Looked more like a Wendigo. So, the creature design has thrown me off, but the story is unique among similar lycanthropic cinema, the atmosphere and the feelings the trailer gave me have me thinking it's going to be well done... just.. is it REALLY The Wolf Man?

Edited by Gabriel

The Great Dictator: what a great piece of cinema. In so many ways, it influenced the comedy movies that came after. 

12 Angry Men: I watched the original. It's a great piece of cinema. The performances are great. It felt a bit tired and predictable but that is because it influenced everything that came after. 

The Menu: great movie. I think they took a bold move of making you think it'd go the obvious route but instead they kept it truly bizarre. It still felt mainstream and slick despite the provocative tone it was striking. 

Where is the Friend's House: what a delightful gem of a movie. It's an Iranian movie that tracks a boy trying to find his friend to return his homework, or else his friend will be expelled. It plays with tension and fear in interesting ways. The movie reminded me of the unwavering and persistent determination of kids and how universal it is. No is not enough. 

The General: great silent movie. Highly recommend if you want to know what watching a silent movie is like. There are lots of versions out there, so try to find one without the sound effects. 

Parasite: fairly obvious why this did do well. Unexpected and arresting at times. It plays a lot with perspective and narratives in interesting ways. I thought it interesting they followed 4 unlikable people and anchored a narrative around them. The family they are exploiting and terrorizing are innocent and nondescript outside of their immense wealth, which in itself exploits and terrorizes others. These lower class victims are only forced into this situation by the consolidation of wealth that the family perpetuates. 

Tetsuo the Iron Man: what did I watch? I knew in the first two minutes I should turn off, but I persisted. Definitely provocative. 

Lan Yu: gay love story set in Beijing. I love that in no way did the director try to place timelines or a comprehensive timeline of events. Everything happens in a chronological order, but situating where in time we are is irrelevant. It's the actions of these two men held apart that is more interesting. 

Fyi, everyone should try the free trial on Criterion Channel.

• Like 2

On 19/10/2024 at 09:17, Colly said:

Yes Jim Carrey falling from a height is funny, but to follow it up with "I fell off the jet way again" is what sets it apart. 

I have often said that "again" can be the funniest word in the English language.