General Television Thread 2024

Bobfoc

10 minutes ago, K said:

30 Rock is probably my favourite show of all time. Love it.

I've basically stopped watching anything that could conceivably be cancelled on a cliff hanger. I just can't be arsed with it. I'm now just watching old stuff, or stuff that is self-contained seasons.

Like Bad Sisters, I know it's been renewed for a second, but season one was a perfect single arc. Loved it.

Bad Sisters works so well as a single season, I'm both intrigued and worried about where they can even go with a second season. I'm always happy to be proved wrong with this kind of thing - I was adamant we didn't need a spin-off show about Saul Goodman and Better Call Saul became one of my favourite shows of all time. But I can't help but feel this is a bit more like the second season of Big Little Lies.

12 hours ago, Benji said:

I find it odd that there aren't way more anthology shows than currently exist. I know there's been a small increase, but they are absolutely smack perfect for a streaming service.

Ryan Murphy would be furious to read your comment. 

• Like 1

Just now, Benji said:

That's what I mean though, he's one of few people doing them when in reality this is the perfect age for thematic anthologies.

Especially when you can work different stars in because the commitment isn't quite so big as a full on series. 

20 hours ago, Benji said:

I find it odd that there aren't way more anthology shows than currently exist. I know there's been a small increase, but they are absolutely smack perfect for a streaming service.

did you watch inside number 9?

On 20/08/2024 at 08:57, Colly said:

Well that's achieved the exact thing Disney don't want with me, I'll now move to not bothering to watch anything unless I know another season (at least) is confirmed. Stupidly though that doesn't actually make any difference given I'm already paying for Disney+, what exactly is the measure for continuing a show or not? I enjoyed the Acolyte, and was certainly looking forward to it continuing.

Up front costs are really high for anything streaming since there's no physical media sales that can provide future revenue. I don't know what the exact measures are that they use but it's been said before if viewers tail off during an initial run that it's a huge red flag. I can't help but think this exact thing happened with The Acolyte.

Season 4 of Umbrella Academy is...

Spoiler

... a big wet fart. What a pointless final series.

When they mentioned the reality where they "should" have saved the Eiffel Tower I was honestly expecting them to finally reset the series into the comic book as a sweet little final touch.

Instead it's just "everyone dies because we couldn't be bothered of thinking of anything actually challenging nor narratively satisfying for any of these people you've spent years rooting for". It's not a "bad" season in that it's entertaining enough, but it was an absolute disservice to the characters and the arcs they've gone through.

• Like 2

We watched more Interview with the Vampire last night. Season 2 ep 2. Which was a really good episode except

Spoiler

Louis was taking photos on a film camera in the middle of the night while ridiing on a motorbike and without a flash. Those photos would never come out. :shifty:

• Like 1

Ted Lasso reportedly picked up by Apple TV for a season 4.  Hannah Waddingham, Brett Goldstein, and Jeremy Swift have signed on.

Jason Sudeikis is “expected” to reprise his role.  Which I mean…duh?  You can do a spinoff without him but you can’t really call it Ted Lasso, you’d have to call it The Richmond Way or something.

Anyway, seasons 1 and 2 were one of the best things I’ve ever watched.  Season 3 was a clear step back, it had its moments but felt overstuffed with too many subplots (KJPR feeling like its own show) while rushing through stuff that should’ve gotten more focus (the lead-up to Nate quitting).

You’d presume that by default this one would have two major settings to jump between (Richmond and Kansas) so if it happens, hopefully they can juggle it effectively.

It really felt like the next step was a spinoff or multiple spinoffs - likely the top spinoff option was just continuing at Richmond with Roy and everyone. And this might be a "spinoff" season where it puts a lot of focus on that group of characters.

Season 3 was a step back for sure but it also ended so wonderfully I didn't have an itch for anything more from the show. The most important arcs of the whole show tied up and nothing was really left open for me.

• Like 1

On 23/08/2024 at 11:51, Hobo said:

We watched more Interview with the Vampire last night. Season 2 ep 2. Which was a really good episode except

Hide contents

Louis was taking photos on a film camera in the middle of the night while ridiing on a motorbike and without a flash. Those photos would never come out. :shifty:

Spoiler

He used his vampire powers of flash. 😂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RPS said:
  Reveal hidden contents

We watched 2 more eps since then and

Spoiler

In episode 3, he totally forgets to take the lens cap off his Rolleifex when taking photos of pigeons out his window. Thats a twin lens reflex camera. The top lens focusses and the bottom takes.  Both lenses are covered by the cap. You'd know if the cap was on.

Now, his leica is a rangefinder and you'd definitely be able to accidentally take a shot with that and forget to take the lens cap off.

Its a Leica III, and he never extends the lens which AFAIK is kinda part of the focusing process.

No wonder that in the next episode he gets mad when he's told his photos aren't worth that much!

He clearly doesn't know what he's doing. :P

47 minutes ago, Hobo said:

Hide contents

In episode 3, he totally forgets to take the lens cap off his Rolleifex when taking photos of pigeons out his window. Thats a twin lens reflex camera. The top lens focusses and the bottom takes.  Both lenses are covered by the cap. You'd know if the cap was on.

Now, his leica is a rangefinder and you'd definitely be able to accidentally take a shot with that and forget to take the lens cap off.

Its a Leica III, and he never extends the lens which AFAIK is kinda part of the focusing process.

No wonder that in the next episode he gets mad when he's told his photos aren't worth that much!

He clearly doesn't know what he's doing. :P

Spoiler

He's self taught. Give him a break. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Hobo said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Your expectations are really high for an old man using technology. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Mx. Canadian Destroyer said:
  Hide contents

Your expectations are really high for an old man using technology. 

Spoiler

The guy was in his 30s when he got turned. Huge boomer energy from Louis. 

• Like 1