Formula One 2024

Lineker

51 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

Aaaand George is about to get disqualified for his car being 1.5kg underweight.

Official now. Hamilton wins.

I'm pleased with that, always liked Williams and it does seem as though James Vowles is attempting to make them a proper competitive outfit again. Plus, as a Mercedes customer they must be hoping to start off the new regs on a decent footing.

Considering his alternatives were the dicey Audi project and a shambolic Alpine team, this is the best case scenario for Sainz since it became clear that Mercedes and Red Bull weren't going to take him.

I'd expect every other seat vacancy to be filled within a couple of weeks now.

• Admin
8 minutes ago, METALMAN said:

I'm assuming that's Sargeant out then? Albon and Sainz is a really tasty lineup, definitely a cut above the rest of the second half of the grid.

First appendix-less line-up ever! One way to shed weight...

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, METALMAN said:

I'm assuming that's Sargeant out then? Albon and Sainz is a really tasty lineup, definitely a cut above the rest of the second half of the grid.

Yeah Sargeant will probably go to IndyCar, he's not been good enough really over this season and a half he's had.

I suspect the remaining free seats will go, in some order, to Bottas, Ricciardo/Perez/Lawson, Antonelli and maybe Jack Doohan.

Ricciardo would possibly be even worse than Perez and while I'd love to hear Yuki screaming his head off at a Red Bull engineer I can understand why Red Bull wouldn't. So overall not too surprised by this.

• Like 2

It has to be down to the fact neither Ricciardo or Lawson have impressed enough, and they don't trust Tsunoda. Which is fair enough because neither Danny or Yuki are exactly looking like top-line drivers, and Lawson is very inexperienced.

That said, this is all a problem of Red Bull's own making with their junior programme the last few years. Gasly and Albon got far less time and their form was not this poor, nor were they anywhere near as experienced as Perez. If they lose the Constructors it will be down to this, and best believe Red Bull desperately want to win that title.

Since Perez finished 4th in Miami (top 5 at all 6 races to start the season) he hasn't finished higher than 7th. Starkly, he has earned only 28 points in those 8 races. Max has 131pts in that time, Piastri 126, Hamilton 123, Norris 116 and all of Russell, Leclerc and Sainz have earned 79. That is ridiculous, and he's also the only one of those 8 drivers who hasn't won a race this season.

Any way you slice it, Sergio Perez is performing dreadfully and doesn't deserve that seat. But then who would Red Bull replace him with who could guarantee a big increase in points? Nothing suggests any of the RB trio would, so they're stuck.

I fully expect him to be dropped at the end of the season barring a big upturn in his results, but even then they'd have to face promoting an RB driver they currently don't believe in, or going completely wildcard like tempting Sebastian Vettel out of retirement.

12 hours ago, METALMAN said:

No description available.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...