Euro 2024

Lineker

1 hour ago, Bobfoc said:

Toni Kroos has gone on a conservative podcast and complained about immigration in Germany. I'm now more glad about Germany's defeat than I was before.

Very brave to do so after they went out so half his team mates don't kick the shit out of him.

2 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

Toni Kroos has gone on a conservative podcast and complained about immigration in Germany. I'm now more glad about Germany's defeat than I was before.

Because working and living in Spain for years isn't immigration.

Übertwat.

The referee for the England/Netherlands game was the one that was suspended for six-months for match fixing a while back.

Also, Bellingham accused him of being corrupt during his Dortmund time. 

Seems like quite the selection.

30 minutes ago, FLiam said:

The referee for the England/Netherlands game was the one that was suspended for six-months for match fixing a while back.

19 years ago, as a note. Does give us a ready made excuse though, so that's nice.

• Haha 1

I won't get into the irony of Kroos saying he'd rather stay as an immigrant in Spain because of immigration in Germany being something he feels is a "problem". But I will say that basically making it about Spain being a safer place for his daughter is absolute fucking gross. Completely dropping her in the middle of it to try and duck out on any criticism that he should rightfully receive.

Incredible start to his retirement. He's 5 years off from coming to the US to lay low after he becomes persona non grata in Germany and Spain.

2 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

19 years ago, as a note. Does give us a ready made excuse though, so that's nice.

"He was biding his time for 19 years just for the opportunity to screw England over", the usual suspects will unironically convince themselves.

• Haha 1

Just now, stokeriño said:

"He was biding his time for 19 years just for the opportunity to screw England over", the usual suspects will unironically convince themselves.

It'd be very funny if a stinker of a refereeing performance is what sends England out, rather than how England are playing.

14 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

The best part of his moan, other than the blatant hypocrisy, was how he "wouldn't feel safe letting his daughter stay out until 11pm in Germany", because of those nasty immigrants I assume.

His daughter is 7.

• Haha 3

Besides the fact he's coming out as a xenophobe, which was obviously the thing that got on my nerves (and everyone's) considering he's also an immigrant, one thing that surprised me after the initial mild shock and thinking it through is the fact he thinks Germany it's dangerous at night because of its immigrants while living in Madrid.

And I was like, ok, Madrid is not New York City or London, but still there's a fair share of immigration as well. The area I live in is in fact a known immigrant neighborhood (mostly chinese and south american) and while Madrid in general doesn't have as many there's still a decent amount. I decided to investigate, and yes, Spain has about the same % of non-nationals (18%) and Madrid's 24% are actually more (granted, almost the same) than Munich's 23%, so why would he feel that way? It could be religion based if he's aiming at the turkish people who live there in Germany but it doesn't make sense either, since the most common nationality in Spain (besides Spanish obviously) is Moroccan and they're muslims as well.

None of it made much sense until I found out he doesn't actually live in Madrid but rather just outside of Madrid in one of the 3 most expensive towns in the country. I guess he doesn't see many poor muslim immigrants living there and even less in the GATED COMMUNITY where he lives. You know who does live there? A bunch of wealthy expats. I suppose his anti-immigrant stance stops when we're talking about wealthy white americans, brits and germans. 

• Haha 1

• Admin

The Netherlands squad preparing to play England tomorrow night for a place in the final of Euro 2024 have been delayed travelling to tomorrow night's match city of Dortmund.

A blockage on the track between Wolfsburg and Dortmund saw their train between the two cities cancelled, forcing the team to abandon their scheduled press conference later.

The team are now taking an internal flight instead.

Massive chance early on, and hopefully a sign this game won't be as negative as I feared.

Mbappe is already unmasked, which seems a bit premature for a broken nose, particularly when it got clattered in the last game.

A goal from open play! And it only took 488 minutes of football!

On 06/07/2024 at 10:16, GoGo Yubari said:

I can't get on that bandwagon because I'm already on the "France wins the entire tournament through own goals and penalties" bandwagon.

so much for my dreams :(

• Sad 1