Euro 2024

Lineker

3 hours ago, Adam said:

That stat from Matterface about Germany being the first hosts eliminated in the Quarter Finals is completely misleading, isn't it? Because Austria/Switzerland and Poland/Ukraine hosted 2008 and 2012, and all presumably went out in the groups?

Plus quarters didn't exist prior to 96 so it's a fairly small sample to start with.

This is lovely by the way:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is getting a wee bit beyond a joke, now. Another unchanged starting XI, with the exception of Konsa coming in for Guehi. Southgate definitely doesn't want to be England manager anymore.

Trent should retire from international football whilst Southgate is England manager.  Goes to wing backs and still insists on Trippier. 

16 minutes ago, Kyle said:

This is getting a wee bit beyond a joke, now. Another unchanged starting XI, with the exception of Konsa coming in for Guehi. Southgate definitely doesn't want to be England manager anymore.

Thing is, it's likely a complete change in formation. We haven't lost yet in this tournament.

I'm as fed up of how we have played as anyone, and think Southgate will be gone after the tournament, but I'm not sure there's much else we could have expected today. Perhaps Trent for Trippier but just putting Trippier on the right hand side, if he has, is a big upgrade on the last game.

• Like 1

I don't mind it here to be honest, at least you're getting some width and it frees Bellingham and Foden a bit more. If it turns out that Trippier is actually on the left though it's a mess.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Adam said:

Thing is, it's likely a complete change in formation. We haven't lost yet in this tournament.

I'm as fed up of how we have played as anyone, and think Southgate will be gone after the tournament, but I'm not sure there's much else we could have expected today. Perhaps Trent for Trippier but just putting Trippier on the right hand side, if he has, is a big upgrade on the last game.

The graphic I saw was the same formation as last time, so maybe I was a little hasty. If we play better football and don't leave in until the 94th minute this time, I'll be happy.

The problem with this England team is none of the players are the ones doing any of the creating for their teams. It’s all industry or end product and nothing in between, while playing two right backs and having the best ball passer in the squad on the bench.

44 minutes ago, Colly said:

I don't mind it here to be honest, at least you're getting some width and it frees Bellingham and Foden a bit more. If it turns out that Trippier is actually on the left though it's a mess.

And he is!

Yeah just call it a day Trent. Save yourself for club football rather than playing for this M&S wanker

Looks like Foden and Bellingham have switched as well, so there are inverted wing backs playing with inverted forwards.

I have sympathy for the grass in the middle of the pitch.

• Haha 1

I can't make sense of the tactics but I can make sense of strategically bringing in Trent as a pair of fresh legs as wing back later on in the match. Southgate is clearly focused on not conceding vs creating chances. But at some point in a match he'll need to flip to that lest they leave it to the penalties.

Maybe I'm thinking too much about this to be fair though.

7 minutes ago, Baddar said:

It's just so shit. Yet I still have an annoying feeling that England are gonna go all the way and win it despite everyone moaning how bad they've been all the way through it.

This is the only way I want to win it.

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, gunnar hendershow said:

As an avowed lover of chaos and absurd things, an England team collectively agreed upon as looking and playing like shit winning the whole tournament is admittedly something I am fully on board with.

I can't get on that bandwagon because I'm already on the "France wins the entire tournament through own goals and penalties" bandwagon.

• Haha 3

First half was pretty decent by our recent standards.

This half has been woeful. No urgency, no real movement, no runners, no inspiration. 

This squad of players should be lighting up international football.