Euro 2024

Lineker

2 minutes ago, gunnar hendershow said:

This drubbing makes it a bit easier I think than a "what if?" 2-1 loss. They will always have qualifying & the magical win over Portugal.

Plus they'll always have that brief time they were ahead.

I am now aware of how condescending that sounds. :P

10 hours ago, Kyle said:

Plus they'll always have that brief time they were ahead.

I am now aware of how condescending that sounds. :P

Nah I totally get it. They'll have had that moment of elation of being ahead, the celebration etc. It's what football is about end of the day

It's like when we went 2 up at Anfield against Madrid or when we were winning the league final day of the season when Glenn Murray scored against City only for them to get one back 30 seconds later <_<

Most of the England team's reaction this morning seems to only apply if you are willing to forget the first 95 and last 20 minutes of the game, and only focus on the England goals. No, Jude, your goal doesn't "silence the doubters", because those people were watching the whole game, not just individual moments.

It's similar to what the England cricket team do when they speak to the press when things are going wrong - completely ignore the facts of what actually happened and focus solely on whatever minor positives there are, making them look like they're not living in the real world.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Jude's whole comment on "the doubters" is weird from a young athlete. It says to me he is spending entirely too much time absorbed in reading comments on social media. A lot of his body language this tournament has been that of a player who has never encountered a challenge that was suddenly encountering a challenge. Kinda connecting all those dots and the guy needs to log off/have someone else fully manage his social media accounts and access.

1 hour ago, gunnar hendershow said:

Jude's whole comment on "the doubters" is weird from a young athlete. It says to me he is spending entirely too much time absorbed in reading comments on social media. A lot of his body language this tournament has been that of a player who has never encountered a challenge that was suddenly encountering a challenge. Kinda connecting all those dots and the guy needs to log off/have someone else fully manage his social media accounts and access.

Lads gone from Birmingham to Dortmund to Real Madrid, adapting and thriving in three different leagues. If it doesn't feel like he's encountered a challenge, it's probably because he's handled them so well. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Ronaldo is not having fun tonight, which is always good to see

A Slovenia win would be great.

It's pretty much 8 years to the day since he chucked a reporters microphone in a lake during that Euros, if anyone needed a reminder about how, as well the more serious stuff, he's just a dickhead on a day to day basis too.

I've made my feelings about Ronaldo pretty clear over the years, to the point where people have told me to shut up about it, so all I'll say is that he is acting like an utter psychopath out there right now. And that free kick was the height of his ego being a detriment to his team.

Also if the commentators could just stop exclusively talking about him and talk about some of the other 21 players that would be great.

I had wondered if going to Saudi Arabia and playing against a bunch of scrubs for 9 months would satiate some of his on-field tendencies and he'd come to Euro as an all-business team leader.

That did not happen and he is somehow even more egotistical than ever.

Just a genuinely detestable person on and off the field who I have a hunch will be burning a lot of bridges shortly into this eventual retirement. Whereas Lionel Messi, the man whose recent successes has visibly broken Ronaldo, will be welcome everywhere for all time.

• Like 2