Euro 2024

Lineker

1 hour ago, Bobfoc said:

Georgia have only finished higher than fourth in a qualifying group twice. To be on the verge of the last 16 at the Euros is massive for them.

It definitely is, but Euros history is complicated. They've only been eligible for about 30 years, in a tournament that was only 16 teams for the most part. Scotland have never got out of the group stage, but given there were only 8 teams in 1992 that's by far their best run solely through qualifying for it.

Ian Darke was complaining that Slovenia are through with 3pts but Ukraine are out with 4pts in another group, and that they should use 32 teams instead. This kind of thing can happen in that format as well though, that's the whole point of separate groups.

I do wonder if UEFA will ever look into the one big table format to match the club competitions. 

I don't agree with Darke's logic (you play the teams in your group) but I've always been in favour of only having tournaments in video game console bit multiples. 32 team Euros and 64 team World Cup, just go for it. The daft half measures are awful, we're two weeks in and only got rid of 8 teams.

The only issue I have with 32 teams is that there are only 55 UEFA nations, and it seems crazy to have a qualification system that results in less teams missing out than competing in the tournament. Plus, as @The Lusophone implies, the extra 8 nations that weren't able to qualify when there are 24 teams already are likely going to be just making up the numbers.

Just have a full tournament bracket involving all eligible nations. Win or go home style, maybe to appease the big boys you can seed the top 8 in the first round.

(Maybe give the winner a belt and a sweaty handshake from Tony Khan for extra motivation)

Give me Gibraltar Vs. Faroe Islands on a major tournament.

• Haha 1

The success of teams like Georgia and Austria is perhaps advocation for the Euros going to 32 teams, which I would prefer. Then again, teams like Scotland clearly didn't have the quality to compete.

The 48 team World Cup is going to be a real test of the depth in quality mind.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Adam said:

The 48 team World Cup is going to be a real test of the depth in quality mind.

And of course, with 48 teams, we have another 3rd place debacle to look forward to. Except this time, EIGHT 3rd place teams will be going through to the next round, which is beyond insane.

• Like 1

Just now, Chris2K said:

And of course, with 48 teams, we have another 3rd place debacle to look forward to. Except this time, EIGHT 3rd place teams will be going through to the next round, which is beyond insane.

Although, the ratio of 3rd place teams going through is the same as here - two thirds of the groups will see 3 teams advance.

• Like 1

It's just a broken system, the fact I couldn't fill in my wallchart without seeing the official bracket is bad enough without considering the fact some group winners are playing runners up, some are playing 3rd place teams, it just has no integrity whatsoever. Teams knowing a draw will get them through is worse than a 16/32, so the groups were nearly over after the first game.

32 may be too much for a Euros, but I'd prefer that lesser evil than a 24 team one that just doesn't work. 16 (and 32 for a World Cup) were perfect, half measures additions are awful.

• Like 2