Euro 2024

Lineker

26 minutes ago, Colly said:

I think there was a bit of a clash between "don't show the injury" and "potential penalty check". I don't think we really saw anything, is it Gunn's knee that caught him?

From what Gabby Logan has just said it was a UEFA coverage decision and the BBC were caught by surprise and cut away as soon as possible. She was likely getting ahead of the complaints.

Honestly, neither side deserve to go through. I thought they were both really poor tonight, Scotland had all the ball but not even a shot until the 53rd minute. Hungary were very sloppy and the final 15 minutes was like watching two school teams playing Next Goal Wins.

Hope Varga is okay.

• Like 2

I'm not gonna act like we deserved to go through cos we were poor, but fuck me is that the most gutting way to go out.

Why the fuck did he take McGinn off? Why did he start Che over Shankland? Why did we wait until the 80th minute to decide to actually attack? Steve Clarke has done well to get us to two major tournaments but his style of play is dire and I don't think anyone would or should lose sleep if he packs it in after tonight. Surely there's better managers out there that can get the best out of what is, being honest about it, a fairly decent squad.

Anyway. Let's go Germany >_>

Forgot to add, it was a definite penalty looking back at that knee bash, and I really hope the Hungary boy with the head injury is OK, that looked horrific.

• Like 4

I've just said to my Scottish mate that Clarke should probably go if this is the approach the team has. I know he lost Dykes and Ferguson before the tournament but I can't imagine that would've made playing this way any less likely. It was so tepid and lacking in quality. Build around Gilmour and Ferguson, play a way that takes pressure off your defence and find a striker somewhere, anywhere, that is a proper #9.

It's also just not a penalty for me. I'm astounded at just how biased the entire BBC studio was...Gabby even asked if they could see any reason for VAR to doubt it and they said no, nothing. How about Armstrong jumping into the defender and away from the ball, or pulling him down by the shirt? Any team other than Scotland or England and I cannot imagine the panel viewing the incident that way.

20 minutes ago, gunnar hendershow said:

The talent isn't one of the 16 best

Tbh I actually think it is and I think at least one team with a worse squad will get through.

Speaking more generally, Scotland were abject for most of that game despite this being the easiest of their three and them being in a good position to get through if they won. No team has gone out with 4 points in the group stage since it expanded and a win would've gotten them out of a group stage for the first time. But they didn't even look like they trying.

And why the fuck was Scott McTominay taking corners?!

Sad for the team, I'd say we deserved at least a draw but that's the nature of the game. Maybe missing a Dykes, but we need to get more shots on target, a bit of composure. An Ally McCoist if you will.

Looking forward to seeing us make it to the World Cup and shall automatically switch to supporting Germany for the Euros. Tremendous hosts so far. It's been a great tournament, I'll still be glued to the rest of the games, even if there's no Scotland and no party.

Scotland desperately need an out-and-out striker of quality for these tactics to work. I actually thought Adams was better than Shankland as at least Adams has the ball control and touch of an adult - Shankland was woeful in that regard. 

Considering they tried to many long balls at times, I did wonder why they didn't try 2 up front earlier, maybe sending up a tall CB to be a target man to ping it toward and let them do knockdowns for the shorter strikers they have. 

8 hours ago, METALMAN said:

Astounded? Have you never watched an England game on the BBC before?

I mean, true. I guess on this occasion I just couldn't even see why they were so blinkered with it...but then again so was the Scotland manager.

29 minutes ago, DFF said:

Scotland desperately need an out-and-out striker of quality for these tactics to work. I actually thought Adams was better than Shankland as at least Adams has the ball control and touch of an adult - Shankland was woeful in that regard. 

Considering they tried to many long balls at times, I did wonder why they didn't try 2 up front earlier, maybe sending up a tall CB to be a target man to ping it toward and let them do knockdowns for the shorter strikers they have. 

They absolutely need a proper striker, wherever they may be able to find one. Sticking a big defender up top has never worked though, much less at elite level. Shankland at least played with his head up and tried to get in behind, which Adams isn't really there for. Maybe both should have played. Either way, there is a dearth of quality in key areas and unfortunately all the solid CMs in the world can't make that a functioning team when a better striker, winger, centre half and goalkeeper are probably needed.

Once again Steve Clarke provides absolutely dire football, more interested in playing his pals. Wouldn't have mattered if Lewis Ferguson was fit, he'd have been lucky to see 10 minutes under Clarke.

SFA should be giving Davie Moyes a call today.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Adam said:

Danny Murphy said he was "so excited" at the start of this one, yet he and Jonathan Pearce so far sound as if they're commentating on the Regional Paint-Drying Tournament.

I know he’s always pretty dire, but sure seems like someone’s pissed on Danny’s currywurst tonight.