23/24 NHL Thread

caucasianheat

1 hour ago, gunnar hendershow said:

Edmonton has completely overwhelmed Florida to come back and force game 7. There's a lot that the Oilers have had go right, but it's been a tremendous comeback. Florida looks mentally and physically spent. Terrible body language tonight.

Tremendous comeback during the regular season 2. The first couple of months was awful.

1 minute ago, gunnar hendershow said:

Oilers had some great chances at the end, if the puck bounced differently a few times in that 3rd period it would be a different result. But Florida is so defensive-focused, I knew they weren't going to give up that goal.

There was one in particular about 7 minutes to go, where the puck bounces back to McDavid near the goal and his stick just gets stuck to the ice and moves in a bizarre way obviously not hitting the puck. I hate cliches like that but that moment I knew they weren't scoring no matter how much they tried.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Malenko said:

There was one in particular about 7 minutes to go, where the puck bounces back to McDavid near the goal and his stick just gets stuck to the ice and moves in a bizarre way obviously not hitting the puck. I hate cliches like that but that moment I knew they weren't scoring no matter how much they tried.

I had a similar thought. You only get so many great chances in a game and that felt like the last one they'd get. I think there was one more a bit later that had promise, but Florida really clamped down and cut off all good angles.

Felt the Oilers struggled with stickhandling and passing late too, maybe rushing too much. Felt like they'd do a great job gathering the puck and resetting for a breakout and then just didn't make good first or second plays to get anything established.

Congrats to the Panthers. They've built a really strong team. 

I like this trade for the Senators. Goaltending has been an issue for them for the last few seasons. If the Sens can extend Ullmark, I think giving up a late first round pick is a bargain price.

How Senators' trade for goaltender Linus Ullmark could become a steal (sportsnet.ca)

• Like 1

Conroy strikes again last night, sending Andrew Mangiapane to Washington for a 2nd next year.

The Flames now have $29 million in cap space for the upcoming season with most of the team already signed to contracts. Expect lots of chatter around trades with the team through the first couple of weeks of free agency. If he can spend that money wisely, that's awesome. Any "big" additions would likely require a subtraction from the roster, but that's okay because any additions will be upgrades on the guys currently slotted into the roster.

There's speculation that Jake DeBrusk has been in contact with Conroy, so if that were to happen for instance, it would probably mean trading away another forward to ensure that there's still room for some of the younger wingers that really should be getting an extended look on the NHL squad this season.

Also, a 2nd for the Bread Man after the past two seasons he's had is a solid acquisition.

• Like 1