Football Manager 2024

Lineker

Think I heard them saying there'll be like a roundup of points so far and whatever at the end of the day, but unsure if it's like a highlights and update thing.

FIFAe channel is trash, agreed. I've been watching Jack and Tom, as I like both, and it's entertaining. Interesting to watch them speedrun a season with so much on the line.

Zealand and Clayts are both also streaming, but they're casting various streams and giving good coverage. Benjy and Kev are both seemingly just hanging out where they want and jumping in and out streams. 

https://www.fifa.gg/football-manager/c/fifae-world-cup-2024-ft-football-manager/group-stage/group-a-f-marinos

Seems to be the place to see all the streams AND the current scores, if anybody was struggling to find it. Click through the groups and then click the streamer to see their stream. 

I've been watching Jack and Tom as well, and despite a frankly ludicrous amount of success, the points system means they are 4th out of 5 in their group. It feels like the points scoring is a bit off, but the game itself doesn't seem to work as an e-sport, there's far too many random events (injuries, cup draws, AI madness) that make it an uneven playing field.

Also there seems to be a bit of controversy, the French team left their station unguarded and someone switched their GK and ST around. Thankfully someone saw it and changed them back before any games were played.

• Admin
On 29/08/2024 at 11:27, King Ellis said:

Is there summaries being pushed anywhere for the FM event? I imagine Zealand will talk about it on his vlog but 9+ hrs a day is a lot to try and keep up on across so many participants. The FIFAe channel seems sparse aside from a few shorts.

22 hours ago, Chris2K said:

I've been watching Jack and Tom as well, and despite a frankly ludicrous amount of success, the points system means they are 4th out of 5 in their group. It feels like the points scoring is a bit off, but the game itself doesn't seem to work as an e-sport, there's far too many random events (injuries, cup draws, AI madness) that make it an uneven playing field.

Also there seems to be a bit of controversy, the French team left their station unguarded and someone switched their GK and ST around. Thankfully someone saw it and changed them back before any games were played.

Agree on Jack and Tom. Didn’t lose a game domestically for two years, got FMed twice in Europe and it means they never stood a chance. Really poor point system. Also the team choices were weird. 

Three teams also expected to dominate domestically so it means it’s up to those knock out games in Europe. 

Had no idea about the French thing. Surely there’s enough cameras they’ll catch whoever did it. 

On 29/08/2024 at 20:58, Kyle said:

September 5th to 12th is the window to grab it by the look of it.

time to download it

and never play it

like I did with FM23 last year :shifty:

Got bored with my Japan save after my holiday ended, so I decided to start a new save with my hometown club. Haven't done that in a few years, so might as well try to work them back up to the top of the Dutch leagues and see how far I can go.

First season was messy and inconsistent (a recurring theme) as I tried to implement a wingerless 5221 DM/AM focused around smashing in craploads of crosses at a big boi striker up front.

Despite looking out of it for parts of the season, we managed to crawl into the playoffs at the end of the season and managed to pull off some herculean efforts to get promoted.

Then at the heat of celebration I get fired because apparently I made a promise to start youth players (I didn't know they meant U18, as I had a bunch of 19-20's constantly in my starting 11) in exchange for better junior coaching.

Needless to say, pretty miffed, but I felt weirdly energized to keep going and maybe either proving the club wrong in firing me and/or making them crawl back to me.

I fell upwards at St. Etienne who didn't manage to get promoted in the first season, retooled the squad around the same big boi philosophy, signed Sydney van Hooijdonk from Bologna and had a nice and messy/inconsistent season where Big Syd scored 25 goals in the league as bigboi-ball carried me to the Ligue 2 title and another promotion.

It was at that point I didn't get fired, but rather I resigned from the club with a new challenge in mind, trying to go mega-Warnock and only signing with second division clubs and trying to get them promoted within the year.

Next stop, one of Warnock's failures in Middlesborough who have been toiling in Championship 'almost playoff capable' for the past decade. Again, spaffing money at the wall to build a squad based around the (totally not) famed bigboi-ball, signing the biggest Norse lad named Lasse Nordas.

36 games in thus far, we're 2nd and one point removed from Norwich in first (and two losses removed from not being in the playoffs, lol). Lasse Nordas has a balmy 30 goals in 30 games before he got a groin strain from effing the league so hard.

My magnum opus thus far, though... Shithousing Newcastle out of the FA Cup.

image.png

Now I just wonder, IF I managed to clinch promotion with Boro and finally bring them back to massive Premier League money, what my next stop might be, having done it in the Netherlands, France, and ~~a cold rainy night at Stoke~~ England.

• Like 2

FM25 Dev Update - https://www.footballmanager.com/news/development-update-football-manager-25-0

evising our timelines

We previously stated that we would be confirming FM25’s release date at the beginning of September (with pre-orders starting at the same time), closely followed by our gameplay rollout period. 

Firstly, we've had to shift the official announcement of FM25 to the end of September. The gameplay focus period will follow soon thereafter. Our target launch date has moved accordingly and is now scheduled for late November, rather than our usual early November slot.

The FM25 development cycle has been challenging for the whole team. We knew that moving the entire game to the Unity engine was going to be a complex endeavour. As we’ve gotten deeper into the process and gained learnings, it’s fair to say it’s been trickier than we originally anticipated. The entire dev team has been challenged in a myriad of new ways and are doing an incredible job in the process. I’m excited to eventually share our hard work with you but we need a little more time before we can do that. 

As I outlined in June’s blog, we’ve consistently held ourselves accountable to the same three core questions:

Would we do it in the same way if we had our time again?

Would we have done this at all?

Do we have the time required to do this to the highest possible standard, in our first cycle of a new era?

The challenges we’ve encountered in the development process over the last couple of months have led us to make another difficult decision around game content: international management will not be a playable mode in FM25, FM25 Console or FM25 Touch. 

Coming off the back of a summer of tournament football and with this week even being an international break, we’ve looked really hard at international management in FM and determined that what we were planning to deliver wouldn’t reach our initial quality threshold. 

We also considered the available game data. Only 5.6% of all FM24 PC saves have used the mode, which we feel validates our view that we need to do much, much better with the experience. That number is even smaller on Console. 

So, rather than delay FM25 even further, we’ve paused work on that area of the game and allocated those resources to other key areas. It will continue to exist in FM25, FM25 Console and FM25 Touch as part of the wider simulation of world football, it just won’t be playable. 

However, international management will remain playable in FM25 Mobile as that’s on a different development track and codebase. For all other versions, international management will return in a much more feature-rich way to FM26, FM26 Console and FM26 Touch in what will be an exciting year for international football with the World Cup expanding to 48 teams. To be clear, this will return as part of the base game and not as any form of additional downloadable content. 

While difficult, these decisions are made for the good of the game and the majority of our players. We are determined to ensure that FM25, the first game in a new engine, is as good as it can be in the time we have. By pushing back FM25’s release date, we’ve given ourselves a few extra weeks of development time to try to deliver the best experience that we can for this first in the new era of Football Manager releases. 

In recent weeks, I have also taken steps to free up more of my time to focus solely on development and supporting the wider team. One of our core studio values is Consider the Bigger Picture, and what’s most important right now is focusing on FM25. I mentioned in June that I’d be speaking at the Unite conference in Barcelona as part of the keynote. While we will still have an FM presence there, I will not be making the trip because I need to concentrate all my efforts on directing FM25. It’s for this reason that I will also not be attending Tokyo Game Show, an event I loved last year and really helped make our first-ever release in Japan a big success.

I’ve also cancelled a trip to America which I was really looking forward to but the game, and you as the players of our games, are the bigger picture.  

An update to Player Profiles

When we begin our gameplay rollout, one of the areas I’m really looking forward to sharing is our work on Women’s Football. 

As you know, it’s been a long-term project for us and one of the biggest things we've done in recent times outside of the move to Unity. Throughout the process, we’ve been laser-focused on introducing Women’s Football to FM in the most authentic way possible. We've applied that thinking to everything we've done, as we generally do with all areas of design and development. From a gameplay perspective, being able to move seamlessly between managing men’s and women’s clubs and vice-versa in one world, one ecosystem was the number one priority - but that’s forced us to consider how various game world aspects are currently portrayed.

As such, we can now share a change we’ve made to all FM25 player profiles: a player’s weight will no longer be visible. 

Through the creation of our Women's Football database, we discovered that while the weight of male athletes can change a bit month to month, women’s body types are very different from men’s and their weight fluctuates a lot more, often weekly. 

This perspective encouraged us to review the wider game, much like we have with all other areas, and we’ve ultimately decided to no longer show weight for any players in FM25. A very basic measurement will still be included under the hood, but it won’t be visible on the front end anymore.

Testing Update

We also announced in June that we would be welcoming FMFC members within a reasonable travel vicinity to come to our campus in London and help with playtesting the new UI/UX of FM25. We received an enormous response to that, and I want to thank everyone who has volunteered and given us their availability. The playtesting will still be going ahead but as a result of the above milestones moving, the start date is shifting slightly. FMFC members who have applied will be contacted shortly with further date options as we begin to finalise the process.

This should be my last development update until we start focusing more on what’s in FM25. We have lots of good stuff to show you that we’re excited about but I want to re-iterate that FM25 is the first instalment in a new era for the game, one that will give us a lot more possibilities than we had with the previous chapter.

FM25 is just the starting point for what is a very exciting, long-term project.

Thanks for reading.

Cheers, 

Miles

Late November release date 😕

No international management 😕

I always have an international management save on the go, so that's disappointing news.

In the past, FM engine changes have taken a couple of entries to really get right. I won't be surprised if this year's version is a bit unpolished. I think I might just take a year off and wait until FM26.

Yeah, I think there's been an undercurrent of worry that the change to the new engine etc could lead to problems with game so something like this will only add to that. It's something I had in mind previously but I think the fact that 24 is going to be free on Epic is going to be a big factor. The fact they marketed it as the most complete version of this engine and the potential for some bad initial reviews scaring people away from buying the game and send them back to 24.

I don't understand the logic behind the weight thing, not that it really matters though unless you were the kind of person to think 'I want to have a 20 stone striker for the laugh'.

I'm not overly arsed about international management not being in, but there have been a few concerning things so far which may sway me to stick with 24 (namely the removal of shouts), at least to begin with.

I'd not bothered installing the NewGan thing for newgens with 25 around the corner, but I'll more than likely look into doing it now.

2 hours ago, King Ellis said:

I don't understand the logic behind the weight thing, not that it really matters though unless you were the kind of person to think 'I want to have a 20 stone striker for the laugh'.

'Fat-shaming major games studio ranks England Lionness as 'Obese' - Mail Online'

• Like 4

The line Miles gave everyone as to why weights were taken out made my eyes roll so hard they nearly fell out of my skull.

"Through the creation of our Women's Football database, we discovered that while the weight of male athletes can change a bit month to month, women’s body types are very different from men’s and their weight fluctuates a lot more, often weekly."

Women and their silly bodies, amirite?! - 53 year old studio director.

Also, from what I recall, neither height or weight dramatically changes throughout a save, and the only examples of it happening is with random growth spurts U20 newgens can have where they get +1 jumping reach/strength, and the number goes up a bit. On top of that, pretty sure neither height or weight actually matter in a gameplay context, only being a vague indicator about someone's jumping reach or strength when the game is generating players.

They could literally have just gone "For years weight has had little to no gameplay effect in Football Manager, so for now we have decided to remove the feature to focus on more important aspects of the game." as a quote/excuse, and nobody would've batted an eye, because I legit don't know anybody who looks at weight when signing players in FM (other than the aformentioned meme reasons like having a chonker GK)