General Gaming Thread 2024

Ruki

So EA is closing The Simpsons Tapped Out with the game being removed from app stores on October 31st and the servers will be switched off on Jan 24th 2025.

It's weird to think it's been around since 2012 and has managed to survive that long. It was obviously a bit of a pioneer as well given it gave rise to the Family Guy clone and that one South Park episode, which even that is 10 years old at this point. It's something I've dipped in and out of over the years and thankfully isn't something I've put any real money into. It doesn't appear there's any talk of reimbursing anyone so it must be pretty annoying for those whale types that have thrown thousands at it.

Crazy as well that this remains the newest Simpsons game despite it's age. Granted, everyone has been saying the show has been over the hill for 20+ years now but given the cultural icon that it is you'd figure someone would have made something by now.

• Like 1

I remember a lot of us here playing it back in its pomp. I think I stopped playing initially because it took up so much space on my phone, then when I had a better phone it had become clear that they were recycling the same event over and over. I always appreciated the effort they went to with the quest dialogue though.

I am surprised that no one has tried to do a Simpsons version of the South Park RPGs. Springfield would be great to explore and I'm sure there's something like Springfield vs. Shelbyville, or kids vs. adults they could throw in as a story. The game would be worth it for the Easter eggs alone.

• Like 5

I saw the news about Tapped Out. I didn’t really get in to it the same way I did the Futurama one that was similar (which also closed). 

The Family Guy one is still going but has been on repeat events since early 2023, so not sure how long it has left. 

I guess the whole city builder/character collector game isn’t selling well nowadays. 

I guess I'm pretty lucky in that the three major mobile games I play (and have spent money on), WWE Supercard, Marvel Contest of Champions and Real Racing 3, have all just passed their 10 year anniversary and are all still pumping out new content every month. The only game I've had shut down on me was NBA Supercard, but that was due to a licencing issue.

• Like 1