General Gaming Thread 2024

Ruki

So, Dave the Diver.

I've been able to put 7hrs into the game over the past few days since picking it up, and this may be the best £8 game purchase I've ever made.

There's just so much to do, and more variety to the game than I expected going in. From the diving to collect every fish Pokemon style, the story moving along in the background at your own pace, to being able to upgrade all your gear and the weapons to catch even bigger fish. It's all fun and never feels like a chore. And that's before you even get to the Sushi restaurant part.

Serving is great, hiring staff and upgrading their stats and seeing the difference in rating when you do, is brilliant, and enhancing all your dishes to earn more gold each time you sell a meal. Easy to see why it's Overwhelmingly Positive on Steam, and now I understand the people who wrote "Just one more dive" in their reviews. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Baddar said:

So, Dave the Diver.

I've been able to put 7hrs into the game over the past few days since picking it up, and this may be the best £8 game purchase I've ever made.

There's just so much to do, and more variety to the game than I expected going in. From the diving to collect every fish Pokemon style, the story moving along in the background at your own pace, to being able to upgrade all your gear and the weapons to catch even bigger fish. It's all fun and never feels like a chore. And that's before you even get to the Sushi restaurant part.

Serving is great, hiring staff and upgrading their stats and seeing the difference in rating when you do, is brilliant, and enhancing all your dishes to earn more gold each time you sell a meal. Easy to see why it's Overwhelmingly Positive on Steam, and now I understand the people who wrote "Just one more dive" in their reviews. 

I absolutely loved the game, I got to the last few hours and just hit a wall with feeling like I've done enough and never went back.

It's still one of those game I'd still 1000% recommend to anyone and everyone though with how much fun I had up till that point.

Apparently I can't help myself because I just saw WWE 2K24 was £25 (PS5) and thought "ooh, yes please".

Despite the fact that I already have games coming out of my ears, including pre-orders (Metaphor), and clearly don't have the time for all this. Or rather, I probably do have the time only because I've massively condensed the rest of my life to accommodate it.

Presumably, at some point, this obsessive patch will burn out. I only need to look at my Playstation trophy history to see that it comes and goes...

6 hours ago, Baddar said:

So, Dave the Diver.

Agree with all this. I was surprised at how much depth (no pun intended) there was to the game. I was not expecting so many different mechanics to use, it’s a blast to play.

I play it on the deck and it’s perfect for handheld - can dip in and out and play 30 minutes here and there. It is such a casual play too, despite there being so much variety in the gameplay.

• Like 1

I've finally seemed to have a soulslike game I really enjoy after a couple of failed attempts. I've been playing through Black Myth Wukong it might be my game of the year this year. Currently working towards the end of chapter 4, there is so much you can miss without realising.

I've still got Star Wars Outlaws to play it's installed and ready to go so may take a little break from Black Myth Wukong and start that 

Did anyone play Alan Wake 2? I played the first when it originally came out and don't remember really liking it, but I absolutely adored Control. Is it worth giving the sequel (and remastered original) a go?

Tony Hawk casually mentioned during his appearance on Last Meal Mythical Kitchen that he's talked with Activision again and something is being worked on "that the fans will truly appreciate".

Maybe it's a new game.  Maybe it'll finally be the THPS 3+4 remake that got scrapped.  Whatever it is, I loved the 1+2 remake and want a reason to play Tony Hawk again.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

The scrapped 3+4 remake baffles me a bit. You'd think it would be a dependable source of income, but they decided to absorb Vicarious Visions into Blizzard instead.

Especially baffling when you consider that the gameplay of the 1+2 remake was essentially a refined THPS4

THPS3 was the first one I ever played.  I'd never even been on a skateboard in my life before and that game got me hooked.  Not that long ago I played 3 on PCSX2 and it brought back some serious memories and just reminded me of how badly I want to see these levels properly remade + new challenges.  The "Get There" challenges were easily some of the most stressful challenges I've ever done in a game yet also felt the most rewarding upon completing them, would love to see what ridiculous lines they could string together for a new remake.

• Like 3

We were talking last week about games perfect for handhelds. Here's another I'm really looking forward to;

https://store.steampowered.com/app/490110/The_Precinct/

You play a rookie cop in the 80's fighting crime. Like the look of the graphic style and overall atmosphere. Releasing by the end of the year, coming to consoles too. 

• Like 1

Honestly I've always pinned the Xeno- series as one I must try and somehow never have. I nearly embarked on the Xenoblade Chronicles trilogy (I don't really know what Xenogears' relation to those is, such is my ignorance) earlier this year... But I was put off in the end because a) relatively expensive and b) I have clearly a strange aversion to playing on my Switch for whatever reason.

3 minutes ago, stokeriño said:

Honestly I've always pinned the Xeno- series as one I must try and somehow never have. I nearly embarked on the Xenoblade Chronicles trilogy (I don't really know what Xenogears' relation to those is, such is my ignorance) earlier this year... But I was put off in the end because a) relatively expensive and b) I have clearly a strange aversion to playing on my Switch for whatever reason.

From what I can gather, Xenogears is the original, directed by Tetsuya Takahashi and is owned by Square. Due to development issues, Square decided not to continue the franchise and so Takahashi left and started Monolift Soft, before teaming with Bandai Namco to produce Xenosaga. Apparently there's no direct connection between the two franchises short of a bunch of references and shared elements. The first game did alright, but the second sold poorly so Namco basically cut a bunch of budget and made Takahashi rush the third game. Takahashi and Monolith then teamed with Nintendo for Xenoblade, which once again isn't directly connected but shares a lot of the same DNA, and has, by all accounts, been a bunch more successful.

Knowing your love of FF and Persona, you would adore Xenogears.

• Like 3

Honestly I was sold the moment I saw clips of XBC3 and heard (...Googles character name...) Eunie's astounding U WOT M8 MY ACCENT'S BRI'ISH INNIT voice acting. I knew I had to play that game even if I needed to play multiple other games to get there.