General Gaming Thread 2024

Ruki

f8763991-9a4e-4e71-8d3e-5ab6617908f1.pngc6908291-5d68-42ee-a3ea-5c8aa2d2a45a.png

Spent a good ten minute's stuck on a car surrounded with zombies in today's playthrough. There's more offscreen, with freaks lurking not too far away.

Felt as if stuck in an episode of TWD.

Thank god for firecrackers. Ran off from the car hood, around the corner into the alley and threw them. Those firecrackers lured several zombie's and two active hordes off me. Sprint back down the shop's loading bay's, peek around the corner, back into the car and back to base we go. 

• Like 1

On 20/08/2024 at 18:02, Bobfoc said:

I never quite got into Civ 6 as much as I did with Civ 5. The city districts system tended to annoy me a bit. I wonder what they will add in Civ 7.

Very much the same. I found Humankind to be a much more enjoyable improvement with its eras system, but it still wasn't as good as Civ 5.

On 20/08/2024 at 19:04, lanky316 said:

Borderlands 4 first up, I never did get round to playing three but did enjoy the first two.

As someone who adores the franchise, 3 was very forgettable. It goes 2 > 1 > Pre-Sequel > 3 and then Wonderlands goes in there somewhere, but I've yet to play it because 3 just kind of felt very flat.

• Like 2

On 22/08/2024 at 05:24, Benji said:

Very much the same. I found Humankind to be a much more enjoyable improvement with its eras system, but it still wasn't as good as Civ 5.

As someone who adores the franchise, 3 was very forgettable. It goes 2 > 1 > Pre-Sequel > 3 and then Wonderlands goes in there somewhere, but I've yet to play it because 3 just kind of felt very flat.

Play Wonderlands. That game is DnD in video game form and is absolutely amazing for it.

I didnt enjoy 3 that much either, but I loved Wonderlands.

I tried playing Wonderlands last year or the year before, I hated it. Admittedly I haven't been into the series since 2. But the audio was awful for me, couldn't understand what was going on. 

Having an amazing time with it. About time we got a Star Wars game where I don’t have to be or aspire to be a Jedi. For years I’ve been playing the non-Battlefront and space game entries pining for something that relates to what I’ve liked about that world - but much like the modern movies nothing ever really hit what I liked about it when I was 8 years old.

It was always about the smugglers and bounty hunters and the lived in feel of the world. What did regular people go through, what was the day to day, etc. Getting a huge sense of that with this game and the protagonist is awesome. I’m sure there’ll be a cameo or two - but she doesn’t give a shit about doing this or that, she just wants to survive right now and hopefully won’t turn out to be a god damn Jedi somehow near the end.

All the little touches are really neat to feel authentic but there’s also a good deal of accessibility to change it up if you can’t make out the fonts, etc.

Huge fan of the character movement and using your little axolotl pal to cheese fights, the system that is in place for ingratiating yourself with different factions and how you find different mentors to learn things from by performing specific actions.

• Like 4

I've not been following it much (given I'm still playing decade old PS4 games on my backlog, weirdly enough that is Battlefront 2 at the moment) but I saw a brilliant video on Twitter yesterday of someone who'd just compiled some bits of walking around various areas and what was going on. That's Star Wars to me, just worlds happening.

Ooh, found it:

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Colly said:

I've not been following it much (given I'm still playing decade old PS4 games on my backlog, weirdly enough that is Battlefront 2 at the moment) but I saw a brilliant video on Twitter yesterday of someone who'd just compiled some bits of walking around various areas and what was going on. That's Star Wars to me, just worlds happening.

Ooh, found it:

Yeah, this is what I'm really feeling and talking about.

I know a lot of reviews are hammering on shit like "it doesn't do anything super new" or make things feels unique, which I get in a way but also disagree with, but I don't NEED there to be 40 new mechanics and it doesn't have to bring something unbelievably new. It's just an open-world Star Wars game with a flavour that we really haven't had. That's fine by me.

• Like 1

Expedition 33 looks amazing. I love that you can parry/counter/dodge enemy attacks - are there other games with this kind of combat system that do that? It feels new but it's gotta to have been done before, surely?