General Gaming Thread 2024

Ruki

Played around with it for about 4 or 5 hours today. Got the Xbox, EA, Steam, Epic and Ubisoft storefronts installed, as well as FC24, NFS Unbound, Dead Island Riptide, State of Decay 2, Firewatch and a couple of other relatively small Steam games. Storage is still at a healthy 650GB or so.

Only really tried FC24 and Dead Island though. Both ran smoothly with no dips, even on battery power alone. The battery on this is said to be twice as good as the predecessor, which is a good thing as between the two games I had about 3hrs play max before I had a 10% warning.

Not overly worried about that as there won't be too many occasions where I'm not playing it near a power outlet anyway. 

The purchase came with 3 months Game Pass Ultimate so I'll make use of that. Might even finally get around to giving Grounded a try.

• Like 5

I've finally got around to playing Police Simulator. 

It is no surprise to me that I am enjoying the game, and enjoying the power rush of pulling over cars for a routine traffic stop. ID expired? Have a verbal warning. Car not insured? Enjoy your fine. Driving under the influence of anything? You're going to jaaaaaaail.

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

I've finally got around to playing Police Simulator. 

It is no surprise to me that I am enjoying the game, and enjoying the power rush of pulling over cars for a routine traffic stop. ID expired? Have a verbal warning. Car not insured? Enjoy your fine. Driving under the influence of anything? You're going to jaaaaaaail.

Your complimentary blue line gear is in the mail :shifty:

• Haha 1

I have since installed Sunset Overdrive on the Ally and OMG why did I wait 10 years to play this? 

I actually have it on disc somewhere too. I remember picking it up dirt cheap for my One S and I never got around to trying it.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Liam said:

In some ways, I'm surprised there has been another sequel as the speed at which Campus ended up reduced made me assume it sold really poorly.

I have both and have hardly played either.

Pretty sure it still did wildly well - that's just the way that SEGA tends to handle the games that it manages. They can't wait to put that stuff on sale.

Two Point Campus was good fun, but got old a lot quicker than Two Point Hospital - some of the game mechanics just didn't quite work, and it's a little too easy to cheese some of the requirements. Nothing had the sense of urgency that Two Point Hospital could have, because it's literally not life-and-death, there's never anything as urgent as a pandemic, or getting a rush of patients with the same illness. 

I can't really see how a Museum would fit the Two Point formula, so I hope they change things up a lot more than they did with Campus, rather than trying to fit a round peg into a square hole. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Skummy said:

Two Point Campus was good fun, but got old a lot quicker than Two Point Hospital - some of the game mechanics just didn't quite work, and it's a little too easy to cheese some of the requirements. Nothing had the sense of urgency that Two Point Hospital could have, because it's literally not life-and-death, there's never anything as urgent as a pandemic, or getting a rush of patients with the same illness. 

I think that's a fair summary. The core idea kind of worked, the zany courses with ridiculous contraptions in all the classrooms fit well and definitely "belonged" in the universe... The problem was that once you'd had a quick chuckle at the animations and silly things then what? Most missions had a problem that maybe kind of was meant to create the emergency feeling but it was essentially "hire some good security guards, train them up and watch them deal with rival students/NotDeathEaters and so on. I kind of found myself more or less "rushing" levels, I felt like I'd already seen all the level had to offer and was cheesing my way through to the end. I liked the idea, I felt it had the charm and feel of what I'd wanted from it... but it wore out relatively quickly. I felt I'd got my moneys worth, and I definitely enjoyed it but didn't see much point in replaying it and do think the management (which is after all why I'd play a management style game) and crises lacked. I really don't know how a museum is going to work, it's going to be interesting to see when we have further details.

Gamescom Opening Night Live airs at 7pm UK time tonight. It's another one of Geoff Keighley's "occasional interesting announcement amidst a pile of filler" showcases. There will be some new game reveals, along with further information about the following games:

Spoiler

Indiana Jones and the Great Circle

Civilization VII

Little Nightmares sequel

Kingdom Come Deliverance 2

Dune: Awakening

Monster Hunter Wilds

Lost Records: Bloom and Rage

Call of Duty: Black Ops 6

Marvel Rivals

Diablo IV: Vessel of Hatred

Delta Force: Hawk Ops