General Gaming Thread 2024

Ruki

I had Xenoblade Chronicles 2 a few years ago, and I just couldn't get into it for whatever reason. I think I didn't jive with the combat, and the party constantly talking over one another saying their special attacks. 

• Like 1

The next game in the Like a Dragon / Yakuza series has been officially announced, and you might want to sit down before hearing what it's all about. It's called Like a Dragon: Pirate Yakuza in Hawaii (we're already off to a good start), and it stars the legendary Majima Goro as a solo protagonist.

Majima's in a bit of a pickle this time around, though. He wakes up on an island near Hawaii, and he's been hit with a serious case of amnesia. He somehow ends up going on a pirate-themed adventure with the locals, and becomes the captain of his own ship. No, we're not making this up.

• Like 6

I always think it's fun when a game becomes a cultural phenomenon for the hot minute you mention. It's crazy to think that not so long ago, Among Us was so huge that it even got into the second Knives Out movie, and now it's barely mentioned.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Your Mom said:

I was just wondering about that game. It was the hot thing for a minute and now I barely hear anything about it. Same for Helldivers 2

It's quite fitting because Palworld has gone through a small-scale version of Pokemon's own cultural trajectory.

I find it interesting that some properties can slip from mass public consciousness and remain massive in their own bubbles. I've heard a lot of people talk about Pokemon as a relic from 25 years ago, and yet it's still one of the biggest video game properties around.

It's a bit like when people still refer to WWE as "WWF". When you're in a particular fan community, it doesn't make sense, but you have to remember that there are only ever a few things that can be massive in the public eye at once.

• Like 2

On 19/09/2024 at 08:43, Chris2K said:

It's now looking like they patented something after Palworld was released to sue them as they couldn't sue them on design grounds.

6 hours ago, Captain Kirk said:

It's now looking like they patented something after Palworld was released to sue them as they couldn't sue them on design grounds.

I am no fancy big city patent lawyer, but surely patenting something AFTER your competitor imitated the concept should grandfather them into allowing to keep using the concept?

After all, what's stopping for example Apple from patenting cameras on the back of telephones and suing every other phone manufacturer into oblivion?

3 hours ago, JasonM said:

I am no fancy big city patent lawyer, but surely patenting something AFTER your competitor imitated the concept should grandfather them into allowing to keep using the concept?

After all, what's stopping for example Apple from patenting cameras on the back of telephones and suing every other phone manufacturer into oblivion?

I have no idea how it works, the Japanese legal system is pretty murky as is.

It has come to my attention that I need 6 more trophies in the coming week to beat my prior record (set in Feb 2016) of 136 trophies in one month, so obviously my gaming choices over the next few days will be dictated by pursuing that.

Why do I care? Because the numbers were put in front of me by the trophy-tracking website I use. Do I feel ashamed to be motivated by such utterly pointless numbers? A little, yes. Will that stop me? Of course not.

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, RPS said:

Well. UFO 50 is going to destroy my life. 

Is it that good? Which games have you played? I threw this on my steam wishlist when peeps were talking about it earlier

13 hours ago, RPS said:

Well. UFO 50 is going to destroy my life. 

I've only sampled the first 9 or 10 games and I absolutely love it already. So many designers just do pixel art and decide that's enough to be "retro", but this feels so convincingly like a collection of lost '80s games.

• Like 3

On 23/09/2024 at 15:20, Krabby said:

Is it that good? Which games have you played? I threw this on my steam wishlist when peeps were talking about it earlier

It's great. 

I have played 3 so far.

The games are ordered on your screen chronologically because it's pretending as if these games were released in this order. So the first game is the first game they ever released and I would guess is a mid to late 80s game. 

I played the first game chronologically. It gives off obtuse platformer on NES vibes so hard. I played 20 or so minutes. I knew this was not the smart game to start with. 

I played Bug Catcher next. Genius. It's Into the Breach but simpler, harder, more obtuse. I don't know how to beat the game but I think I'm getting close. 

Pingolf is a super cool Golf game. Side scrolling golf game with obstacles but more control over the ball. There is a character select screen but I'm not sure if picking a specific character helps you. 

If you like Spelunky, I'm sure this will scratch the itch. Each game is simple, but hard and obtuse. 

On 24/09/2024 at 04:53, Skummy said:

I've only sampled the first 9 or 10 games and I absolutely love it already. So many designers just do pixel art and decide that's enough to be "retro", but this feels so convincingly like a collection of lost '80s games.

There is something about Derek Yu's game design that is so retro and modern. Spelunky has always felt like to me "what if a 32 bit game was released today with modern sensibilities". He's the greatest of all time when it comes to designing a game. 

• Like 2

I know this is pretty obvious at this point, but the greed of WB Studios (and, unfortunately, NeatherRealm for going along with it) when it comes to Mortal Kombat 1 is disgusting. £40 for a DLC pack, which is still the price even if you bought the Ultimate edition at launch (silly me) is absurd, and I really hope it doesn't sell well.

• Sad 1