Premier League 2022/23

Lineker

I totally think clubs can do work to combat this kind of thing. Liverpool were really great (last year?) at putting out official club content that discussed homophobia and certain chants prior to playing Chelsea. Fan groups can have a certain amount of input here as wel. I cannot remember which club it was but I recall a fan group from a lower league team coming out with a zero tolerance for any Hillsborough chanting before playing Liverpool in a cup game recently. That sort of work is good and it likely has an effect if you want to educate a fanbase about what is and what isn't acceptable.

Online it's a little harder maybe because it's far more nebulous and disconnected etc. A good publicity campaign, education, that can all go a long way to helping reducing this kind of stuff. Platforms can and do offer controls for verfied accounts that can filter out content.  You can't really stop players from having social media accounts or wanting to be active personally on their accounts (my vague understanding of how a premier league footballer's social media works is that it's partly a social media person/PR manager and partly the player themselves that has control and that varies from player to player). You can't 100% stop some kid from sending abusive messages online to a footballer or some grown adult for that matter. 

What do you do? I don't think the answer would be everyone has to declare who they are IRL to be on the internet either. Because Facebook tried doing stuff like that and it hasn't really worked. Nor has not been popular for a number of reasons. Long term, to me it comes back again to publicity and educational awareness campagins being the way to go. You'll never  stop it completely unless we culturally move away from the forms of social media we currently have or from social media altogether  - and I don't really see that happening. 

Media outlets could also look a bit more at how they present and report on and promote how football fans behave should relate to one another and the players. That could help too.

In short, to tackle stuff like this you have to take a mutli-pronged approach. You have to actually alter behaviours and change cultures and attitudes - at every club and in an entire fanbase. It's also going to take time and effort.

52 minutes ago, METALMAN said:

I don’t know but recognising it as an actual problem rather than just saying “WELL, THEY’RE NOT REAL FANS” seems like a decent place to start.

I don't think no one here has not recognised it as a problem. But again, the issue is with the actual people. It's generalising a problem to everyone else. If people do it in the ground it's easier to manage but social media is a minefield and has a lot of flaws unless it's reported to the police and they investigate it. 

Liverpool has loads of tits who are fans. But there's a lot more fans who are good. Same can be said with every club as they'll always have people who are questionable. That's just human nature. 

I could argue the same with Hillsborough because there's still every week clear chants from sections of fans but I wouldn't tar a whole section of people over that. I'd tar the people who sang the chants. 

8 minutes ago, DavidMarrio said:

I don't necessarily agree. I don't like Man Utd but I don't think the majority of their fans are bellends. Just the bellends are bellends. 

It's not a club problem it's a people problem. People who think it's alright to abuse someone on social media don't mean that club is a problem. It's a them people are tools problem. 

Is it going to be more prevalent with clubs who are more popular and have a bigger fambase. Of course. 

I'm talking about the most obnoxious fans, not anyone here. It's the "Us versus the world" mentality that some of them have.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DavidMarrio said:

Liverpool has loads of tits who are fans. But there's a lot more fans who are good.

How do you know this? How can you measure this? I think this is a thing that people say to reassure themselves without any way of demonstrating whether it is true.

Maybe these fans don't shout abuse during matches or post identifiably on social media, but they might go home and kick a dog. Or upset a goat. They might have white supremacist views but aren't really sure of how to put them into words, or concerned that doing so might lose them their job. They might run one of those really annoying Youtube channels where all the video thumbnails are pictures of them looking confused.

There's no way of knowing.

1 hour ago, DavidMarrio said:

Liverpool has loads of tits who are fans. But there's a lot more fans who are good. Same can be said with every club as they'll always have people who are questionable. That's just human nature. 

This sounds a lot like a generalisation...

Of course I understand where you are coming from, but the whole discussion is now about "there are only a few bad apples" to paraphrase, when really fans began sending death threats to a player, who had been the recipient of a headbutt from another player.  It is disgusting, that was more my point than "I am picking on Liverpool FC's fans specifically"

• Like 1

Tuchel gets a £35,000 fine and a one-match ban (temporarily suspended until the commission publishes its reasons in writing, so presumably will take place next week vs. Leicester). Conte gets a £15,000 fine and no ban.