2022 NFL Off-Season thread

The Buscher

1 hour ago, damhausen said:

I can't blame Brown for asking for the trade as soon as he figured we weren't signing him to a big deal. Like the other Class of 2019 WRs there's more supply than there is demand so these guys have to play hardball to get long-term contracts. It's the NFL, your career could end tomorrow, etc.

From our side it feels like a move to placate Murray, giving him a former college team mate to pair with Hopkins.

I was surprised to wake up and see we had traded for him, but it's hopefully another good "big name" pick-up. Those have worked out more than not in recent years - Watt, Ertz, Hopkins, Jones all performed straight away.

I however was hoping for some meat in Round 1. We desperately need a lineman to pull it all together, and could also really do with an Edge rusher now Jones has gone.

It felt like Arizona was never a team that'd make a move for another WR when there are other areas they need to address. The fact we got a 1st rounder for a player who, since he was drafted, has only shown flashes where he's looked like a 1st round talent is impressive. Turning that into hopefully, at long last, ending our decade in the Center wilderness is big.

Hopefully we manage the rest of the draft well. I suspect a pass catcher will be high on our list (in addition to signing a Keelan Cole type in FA). I'd love it if it's a pass catching TE. The Ravens need to play as a ball control offense, with just enough speed to make big plays and move down the field in a hurry when called for. Having 2 big TE targets, Bateman on the outside, and Dobbins coming out of the backfield plays much more to Lamar's strengths and also forces teams to play closer to the line. And with better protection my hope is we'll be able to just chug along and eat 10-12 minutes of clock on multiple drives. That plus finally having the ability to play a true Cover 2? I feel good. Despite missing out on Jordan Davis.

• Like 1

I always forget about how many teams effectively work out tons of trades in advance contingent on specific draft scenarios playing out.  Usually these just involve picks, but obviously we saw a rarity last night in players being on the move too. 

Kinda amazing how even in the age of social media and reporters getting more scoops than ever, they were able to keep this stuff on the down-low.  AJ Brown already had a physical and contract parameters in place, the Titans just needed to be sure the receiver they wanted was still on the board when the Eagles were to make the deal official.  Also why Hollywood Brown was already in town just waiting to show up to the Cardinals draft party.

• Like 1

I'm happy we have a QB, even if his hands are small and his name doesn't fill me with confidence. This was just not the draft to be looking for a franchise QB for the future, and even if it was it's not like a top QB prospect would fall to #20.

18 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

I'm happy we have a QB, even if his hands are small and his name doesn't fill me with confidence. This was just not the draft to be looking for a franchise QB for the future, and even if it was it's not like a top QB prospect would fall to #20.

For what it's worth he's the most day one ready game manager. In a draft where your long term fixes are "if Willis develops over the next year or two" and "Ridder at least has a high floor" taking the guy who can make some plays and have defense bail him out is a good short-term fix by Pittsburgh.

Unfortunately for them they're in a loaded division in a loaded conference. I kinda don't know why they didn't go with Trubisky for a year and then survey what was out there in 2023.

The Giants just became the co-betting favorite to land Malik Willis (along with the Lions who were already speculated).

If that happens, you have to assume the Giants will just dump Jones wherever and start Tyrod Taylor week 1 with Malik learning.  Having Malik as a QB3 would be pointless, the Giants would have to get a look at him since they could easily be in a position to take a better QB prospect in 2023.

Just now, CM Busch said:

The Giants just become the co-betting favorite to land with the Giants (along with the Lions who were already speculated).

I certainly wouldn't bet against the Giants landing with the Giants.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, CM Busch said:

The Giants just became the co-betting favorite to land Malik Willis (along with the Lions who were already speculated).

If that happens, you have to assume the Giants will just dump Jones wherever and start Tyrod Taylor week 1 with Malik learning.  Having Malik as a QB3 would be pointless, the Giants would have to get a look at him since they could easily be in a position to take a better QB prospect in 2023.

Lions are nowhere to be seen after they traded 34 away. If the Giants don't take him I'd expect Seattle to grab him at 40.

Shame the guy had to sit in the green room all last night.