Beijing 2022 Winter Olympics

Lineker

Geez...I don't have the time available to watch all that curling...

I'm afraid those of you who love reading my posts here will have to get used to my absence because I'll be avidly watching the Winter Olympics and too engrossed to spend any time here.

Spoiler

just kidding the Winter Olympics are shit

Spoiler

apart from curling obvs

• Like 1

• Admin

The Winter Olympics medal ceremony for the figure skating team event was cancelled because of a Russian skater testing positive for a substance that was not performance enhancing, multiple sources have told the Guardian.

On Wednesday, the International Olympic Committee cancelled the ceremony citing legal obstacles, which had to be settled with the International Skating Union.

The Inside the Games website then suggested it was related to an alleged positive doping result among the Russian skaters, who won gold, something the Guardian has confirmed, along with the additional detail that the substance is not a drug that would aid performance. There is also growing speculation that the continuing legal wrangle is over whether the substance was taken in or out of competition.

Four Russian skaters did not attend their planned training session on Wednesday. It was not clear why they had not trained.

The story was first revealed at the IOC press conference on Wednesday. The IOC spokesperson Mark Adams explained: “A situation arose at short notice that requires legal consultation,” without providing any details on the nature of the ongoing consultation. He continued: “You can bet your bottom dollar we are doing everything that this situation can be resolved as soon as possible. I cannot give you any more details but we will do our level utmost.” He said the ceremony would take place as soon as possible.

Meanwhile, the legendary Russian coach Tatiana Tarasova has denied that any of the Russian Olympic Committee skaters would dope. “This cannot be true,” Tarasova said in response to a question regarding doping allegations. “We can be pointed fingers at, but we are all clean.”

The International Skating Union did not respond to a request for a comment on the matter. There was no immediate comment from the Russian Olympic Committee.

The Independent Testing Agency, which conducts tests at the Games, did issue a statement. “The ITA is aware of the various reports circulating regarding the postponed medal ceremony for the figure skating team event at the Olympic Winter Games Beijing 2022,” it read. “Any announcement connected to these events would always be publicly issued on the ITA’s website and not commented on otherwise. No such announcement has been published to date.”

On 09/02/2022 at 11:00, damshow said:

Lot of smoke on social media that it's Kamila Valieva whose test results have caused the holdup.

This has now been confirmed. She failed a drug test on Dec 25, and it evidently took a few weeks to get reported. So, at best, a 15 y/o took a banned substance accidentally which reflects poorly on the adults around her. At worst they're just drugging the poor kid so she skates better.

Ban everyone involved for life.

• Like 2

On 11/02/2022 at 07:13, damshow said:

This has now been confirmed. She failed a drug test on Dec 25, and it evidently took a few weeks to get reported. So, at best, a 15 y/o took a banned substance accidentally which reflects poorly on the adults around her. At worst they're just drugging the poor kid so she skates better.

Ban everyone involved for life.

Ban Russia, period. They've been punished because of doping, and don't seem to learn. Make Russians sit out the next 2 Olympics. No competing under another name or allowing Russian athletes who train outside the country. Or competing for another country, like that girl that is competing for China.

tbh, i'm all for allowing Russian athletes to move elsewhere to compete under other flags. We shouldn't be banning people for the systematic doping policies of their home country.

If the athletes wish to move to another country, and they pass the stringent doping controls those countries actually respect, then please do let them compete at the Olympics for those countries.

This 15 year old girl is a victim of a country and system that wilfully dopes children so they can win at sports. This is 1000% on the country and the Russian sports programmes for physically abusing an underaged girl for their own gain.

So yeah, ban Russia and their Olympic Committee for 8+ years (if not indefinitely) to truly punish them, hopefully chasing the talent they have away from the country to places that will actually treat athletes and the sports they do with the respect that Russia doesn't have.

• Like 6

If we ban all of Russia and everyone from Russia for doping its athletes then the same should happen to the US for letting sexual abusers run rampant and be protected. The athletes should absolutely not be punished but I give zero shits about the flag they play under. I just want to see the best athletes in the world do great things.

In a hypothetical world where American athletes have to participate under other flags I will happily root for all of them. I naturally have an affinity to US athletes because it's like rooting for your neighbor, but that doesn't change if one of them is skiing for China (like Eileen Gu). Great athletes who aren't POS all deserve our love.

• Like 3