NFL 2021

Lineker

18 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Not too surprised to read this.  The team had very little talent and would've struggled to win any games once Jones went out, but it was so obvious from the way they were playing that they'd quit on Judge.  And when you routinely punt on 4th and short past the 50 and call for a QB sneak from his own goal line, how can you blame them for quitting?  It showed a complete lack of faith in anyone on the roster.

Joe Judge is maybe the worst example of a guy who thinks he's a genius because he happened to coach under an actual genius.

It's really the exact same thing as every Manchester United player who played under Sir Alex in the 90s being a shit manager. Impressive really. Just taking yourself for granted because you had to become good through osmosis.

• Like 2

Reportedly Judge is meeting with Mara this morning, obviously trying to lay out a plan to keep his job.

I don't know if he'll be fired today or not, they might leave his fate up to the new GM.  The question is will they bias their GM search in favor of someone who sells them on keeping Judge.  Their only way to get actual good GM candidates to want this job is to tell them that you have a truly clean slate to work with, including the ability to can Judge and hire your own coach if you want.

9 minutes ago, damshow said:

I don't think there's a real danger in waiting it out, getting the GM, and letting the GM decide. Everyone freaks out about landing the hot new assistant coach but there's always at least one who doesn't get hired in each cycle.

I agree with this in principle.  I just worry that Mara sometimes makes his mind in advance and then hires someone who tells him what he wants to hear.

Mara saw how much shit the organization got for allowing Eli's streak to be ended by Geno Smith, Mara felt Eli had one final run left in him...and Dave Gettleman was reportedly the only GM candidate that presented a plan which would see Eli having the team built around him one last time, hence the disastrous Barkley pick and then the team quickly realizing a year later they'd made a mistake.

If Mara really is concerned about the stability of firing another coach, he might leave it "open" to the new GM but really just hire another dude with Pats ties who is friends with Judge.  They need to blow this thing up.

9 minutes ago, Lineker said:

I could envisage a scenario where they fire Joe Judge - in order to promote Patrick Graham.

I really like Graham and I think a lot of Giants fans do as well.  But even though most of us would take Graham over Judge as HC in a heartbeat, I think an internal promotion would be a tough sell on principle when the opportunity is there to well and truly start clean.  The scenario I'd love is Flores becoming coach and keeping Graham on since he was his DC in Miami.

• Like 1

I don’t know why I feel like the Dolphins will be hiring Nagy, but I do.

I don’t think Flores should have been fired but I also don’t think he’s a particularly great coach and had a big negative influence on Tua’s development.

2 minutes ago, CM Busch said:

There isn't even much buzz about Bieniemy this time around.  I wonder if he's struck out on head coaching jobs so often that nobody is really even entertaining him as a candidates anymore.  All it takes is white owners passing around word that he's a terrible interview and that's that.

Yeah there's not as much buzz. Even race aside (which is a huge factor) him drawing up but not calling plays is always going to hold him back. Especially with the coaching performances of recent Reid offensive disciples. He's less in the mold of the offensive play calling minds like McVay and much more in the Greg Roman or Chip Kelly category. It's a lot of things working against him. But he still should be given a shot after now the 4th straight year of amazing performance by the offense he helps coach.

16 minutes ago, Maxx said:

I don’t know why I feel like the Dolphins will be hiring Nagy, but I do.

I don’t think Flores should have been fired but I also don’t think he’s a particularly great coach and had a big negative influence on Tua’s development.

The general reporting seems to indicate he wanted Watson, and Watson tried to force a trade there. Meanwhile the GM didn't want Watson.