NFL 2021

Lineker

It’s so odd Jim Harbaugh was linked to several jobs, then nothing came of it, seemingly indicating he was going to stay in Michigan and then suddenly the Vikings out of nowhere are close to landing him.

21 minutes ago, Maxx said:

It’s so odd Jim Harbaugh was linked to several jobs, then nothing came of it, seemingly indicating he was going to stay in Michigan and then suddenly the Vikings out of nowhere are close to landing him.

There only seems to be these formal announcements by teams when it's someone already employed by an NFL team. Urban Meyer also kind of came out of nowhere (after weeks of rumors).

Indications are the Bills pretty much made a mockery of the Rooney Rule and quickly interviewed two minority candidates for OC who had no shot so they could legally promote Dorsey to the job before any other teams talked to him.  As much as I understand the purpose of the rule, I feel like there should be exceptions for internal promotions because you're pretty much wasting the other candidates' time.

Anyway I don't blame him for sticking around Buffalo instead of heading to Jersey.  Pep Hamilton, Mike Kafka, and Chad O'Shea are the names now rumored to be in the running for Giants OC.  Very intrigued by the first two...O'Shea not so much, but he's got the closest Daboll connection.

24 minutes ago, Adam said:

Is the Rooney Rule fit for purpose?

Unfortunately, a lot of black candidates are brought in for what are essentially token interviews with an owner/GM who already know who they want to hire.  They aren’t going into the interview with an open mind. The systemic issue is that networks around the league are still overwhelmingly white.

What’s happened with the Giants isn’t even the most egregious case.  While it violates the spirit of the rule, it makes sense that a guy brand new to a GM role wants to bring someone he has a close relationship with.  And the general reporting is that John Mara actually preferred Flores, but didn’t want to undercut his new GM.

The bigger issue as I see is that thanks to the good OL boys club, you have failed white head coaches getting multiple chances a lot sooner than black assistants do. 

• Like 1

Even the loudest "hire black coaches" voices didn't seem to take particular exception with the Daboll hiring. Feeling him deserving for multiple football reasons and that it made sense with who the Giants brought on as their new GM.

For this to be the hire that creates a lawsuit is significant. Imagine how much other horrible shit has gone on with black candidates.

9 minutes ago, damshow said:

The Rooney Rule is the Black Lives Matter sign in the window of addressing structural racism in hiring head coaches.

In This House, We Believe
Science Is Real
LOVE IS LOVE
Every NFL Team Must Interview at Least One Ethnic Minority Candidate for Head-Coaching and Senior Football Operation Positions
Kindness Is Everything

• Haha 5

10 minutes ago, damshow said:

Even the loudest "hire black coaches" voices didn't seem to take particular exception with the Daboll hiring. Feeling him deserving for multiple football reasons and that it made sense with who the Giants brought on as their new GM.

For this to be the hire that creates a lawsuit is significant. Imagine how much other horrible shit has gone on with black candidates.

Yep.  I know I’m being a bit selfish here but there’s already people calling for the Giants to be docked one of their first round draft picks and I’ll be fucking livid if the league does that.