NFL 2021

Lineker

3 hours ago, Your Mom said:

How was it a fuck up by the refs? The announcers explained the ref has to touch the ball. Dak should have found him and handed it to him instead of trying to snap it himself. He also shouldn't have run the ball either but that's a completely different topic

The referee was completely out of position to spot the ball is the only thing I can think of.

ESPN just said that if Dan Quinn isn’t a head coach in 2022, it’s because he turned somebody down and that he’s definitely getting an offer in one of his four scheduled interviews this week.

Two good seasons with the Falcons out of six.  One game over .500.  Has one good season as a coordinator and everyone’s falling over themselves to give him another chance while a guy like Jim Caldwell hasn’t sniffed a head coaching job in years even after bringing the Lions to respectability.

Sounds about white.

• Like 5

To be fair, Jim Caldwell is 67 years old and several of the teams with vacancies have better defensive pieces than offense ones.  If you’re in the market for a defense focused head coach, Dan Quinn’s got the best resume right now.

Now, if you want to talk about Kellen Moore getting a gig over Caldwell or Leftwich or Bienemy…

7 hours ago, Pooker said:

The referee was completely out of position to spot the ball is the only thing I can think of.

IIRC there was a report that showed an angle where you can see that the official isn't out of position - he gets there as fast as he can, but because the lineman placed the ball, he's had to barge past and make sur he places it (as the rules state an official MUST place the ball). 

Dak should have thrown the ball to the nearest official. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Maxx said:

To be fair, Jim Caldwell is 67 years old and several of the teams with vacancies have better defensive pieces than offense ones.  If you’re in the market for a defense focused head coach, Dan Quinn’s got the best resume right now.

Now, if you want to talk about Kellen Moore getting a gig over Caldwell or Leftwich or Bienemy…

Fair point RE the defensive pieces.  As for Caldwell, yes he's 67 but I consistently hear the same thing about him that I hear about Bieniemy "he doesn't interview well".  That can mean any number of things but I feel like most of these coaching interviews come down to how well the coach vibes with ownership and so it's not really a surprise that black candidates don't vibe with old, white owners.

I definitely expect your latter sentence to happen.  Caldwell will be dismissed as too old/a retread.  Bieniemy will get docked again for not calling the plays even though everyone in KC will tell you that he designs all of the offensive schemes.  If Leftwich doesn't get hired it'll certainly come down to "well, he has Brady and weapons" all while it is overlooked that Moore has a ton of weapons to work with too.  The "offensive genius" label is only ever given to white guys.

GMs often don't want to hitch their star to an older head coach. That's another thing working against Caldwell at least. And a lot of black assistants take longer to rise through the ranks, though that has been changing recently. With GMs desiring a younger head coach who can be there and be good for the rest of their career and ownership often looking for younger versions of themselves the deck is very stacked against a lot of black assistants.

I think in-game play calling is highly overrated in terms of finding a good coach. Plenty of coordinators call great games because they have great players. Look for the guys who design plays to make their players excel and who adapt in the middle of a game to a change in circumstances. And then of course the guys who are there in the thick of it with their players, who the players will fight for.

I deeply regret the comments I made regarding the officials after the game on Sunday, as there's a drive into deep left field by Castellanos it will be a home run. And so that will make it a 4-0 ballgame.

I was caught up in the emotion of a disappointing loss and my words were uncalled for and unfair.

• Haha 1

Extremely fun to poke around the fan boards for teams hiring coaches to see a bunch of crotchy old dipshits talk about how Mike McDaniel can't possibly be a good head coach because he's a millennial and dresses like one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The 10th and final part of Tom Brady’s ESPN documentary, which was meant to cover last season in Tampa, has been delayed to spring.

I’d guess that AB featured in some of it and they decided to cut him out among the recent controversy.  But of course, part of the Internet are getting their hopes up that the delay is because he’s going to dramatically announce his retirement at the end of it.

20 minutes ago, CM Busch said:

The 10th and final part of Tom Brady’s ESPN documentary, which was meant to cover last season in Tampa, has been delayed to spring.

I’d guess that AB featured in some of it and they decided to cut him out among the recent controversy.  But of course, part of the Internet are getting their hopes up that the delay is because he’s going to dramatically announce his retirement at the end of it.

Or they want to include possibly a second SB.

4 hours ago, Maxx said:

Extremely fun to poke around the fan boards for teams hiring coaches to see a bunch of crotchy old dipshits talk about how Mike McDaniel can't possibly be a good head coach because he's a millennial and dresses like one.

Strange, I assumed he wouldn't be a good head coach because he's this week's anointed young white genius.

31 minutes ago, damshow said:

Strange, I assumed he wouldn't be a good head coach because he's this week's anointed young white genius.

Be nicer to your twin brother 

• Haha 1

Speaking of arrests, surprised nobody shared the bizzare arrest of Browns defensive tackle Malik McDowell. 

According to the arrest affidavit, a BSO deputy went to 40 Fairway Dr. on Monday after getting a call about a naked man walking near a school, The Learning Experience. The deputy found McDowell sitting on the curb.

The deputy said McDowell, who makes his living as a defensive tackle with swift bursts of violence, rushed him “at full speed with closed fist” and rammed into him. One of McDowell’s punches clocked the deputy on the right eye and temple area, the affidavit said, leaving the deputy dazed and with a rapidly closing eye.

After shrugging off the deputy’s blows to the chest, the report says, McDowell ran. He was eventually tasered and handcuffed.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/broward/article257444922.html