Nintendo Megathread 2021

• 2 weeks later...

So I finished Mario & Rabbids, fun game in that 'baby's first XCOM' sort of way. I've never really played that sort of thing before outside Ghost Recon Shadow Wars and maybe a couple of missions on Fire Emblem Awakening on 3DS. Doesn't have that same mix of developing your base/squad to go along with the actual battles but having the different worlds that you can explore to a degree to find collectibles and the different puzzles along the way help break up the game from being too much of the same thing. I feel like it could have done more to enforce trying the different characters as I never felt obliged to switch from my team. I had Mario in (obvs), though I'm not sure if you could swap him out even if you wanted? Then Luigi because that just feels natural to have him, plus I really liked his overwatch type ability. Rabbid Peach was my third, if only because again I think you're forced to have one Rabbid so I just kept her in the whole time since she was there first, her healing helps out and I like her sassy character in the cutscenes. Maybe they could have expanded your team out for one battle when you first get each new character or maybe you have some special challenges that can only be done with them? I suppose that adds some replay value though if I want to go out and try them all. Plus I have the DK DLC to try sometime along with trying to find all the collectibles and challenges in the main game so even after the story is done it seems like there's still lots to do.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

N64 coming to Online sounded cool until they said it will cost extra and they’re charging $50 for the Bluetooth co troller. I’ll stick with my OG N64 and Everdrive. Switch online is so barebones outside of the NES/SNES libraries, I can’t imagine paying more for it.

It's a shame it's not bundled in with the other stuff but I guess at the same time it's nice that, if they're going to charge extra for it, then at least people can choose to seperate it out and it's not just one blanket 'NSO is going up $5 for everyone to account for these N64 games'.

Seeing a Nintendo branded boxed Genesis controller is a bit weird. Plus MUSHA on the Genesis list seems a bit obscure and out of left field amongst the regular sort of name titles like Sonic, Ecco, Golden Axe etc that you get on every collection or mini console/plug and play.

fuck all that, Bayonetta 3: Bayonetta With A Vengeance!

I am sure that there will be some decently priced third party N64 controllers for the Switch. The big thing for me is going to be whether or not the library is updated regularly enough and contains enough that I'm interested in to add the extra charge every month. Having Mario 64 and Mario Kart 64 there is a good start, but the N64 library had so many great games, even outside of the obvious first party fare.

I was kind of disappointed that Wave Race 64 wasn't included on the initial list here.

This is an exciting thing for me though. When the Wii came out, I pumped considerably more hours into playing N64 games on the virtual console than I ever did for anything released for the Wii.

The price is the only factor for me. If there's a decent offer for existing subscribers to upgrade, I may go for it, but I'm not bothered otherwise. I was excited about the NES and SNES support initially, but I've only dipped in here and there. I can't imagine I'd actually spend much time playing the N64 games. As for the Mega Drive/Genesis games, they're already available in the big mega collection thingy, and it's on sale often.

Ask a really silly question, but is it possible to buy something in the online shop but not have it appear on your library/home screen thing? There's a sale on at the moment so I was going to get Luigis Mansion ahead of my son's birthday in December but I don't want him to see it before...