Premier League 2021/22

Lineker

Martin Keown trying to process that red card is hilarious. Do you think they were both yellows Martin? Yes. So it's two yellows? Yeah, but then we'll see this every week, maybe it's a new directive.

😕

I've just flicked to the channel Liverpool were on. Rio's even thicker.

Oh fuck, Savage and Owen as well. How can BT have zero good pundits?

The thing I find odd about the whole thing is that a yellow card is supposed to be a caution - yet he wasn’t cautioned before then being given another yellow. I understand that they were probably two yellow cards but the way in which they were given doesn’t really sit well with me.

The letter of the law says that a yellow card is a caution but he was never given said caution - and I’m fairly sure those were his only two “fouls” of the match. I don’t think you can look at both of those incidents and come to the conclusion that he shouldn’t be on the pitch and should be banned for a match, it’s mad really.

But whatever. 3 points.

They were two completely different offences though, it's not as if he'd tried to hack someone down, failed, and did the same again. He's blocked the throw in (with a full shove too, it's not as if he was just stood in the way), then five seconds later done a blatant yellow card worthy shove in the back, two completely separate bookable incidents. It's a rare occurrence which is why we don't talk about them very often, but they do happen and it's absolutely correct. Otherwise he's allowed to make the foul with zero punishment.

"Where two separate cautionable offences are committed (even in close proximity), they should result in two cautions, for example if a player enters the field of play without the required permission and commits a reckless tackle or stops a promising attack with a foul/handball, etc."

• Like 2

I've just seen it, and think he was right to award the two yellows.

Ideally, the first one would have been given before the throw was taken, but then Oliver would be in the wrong again for slowing a potential Wolves attack down.

And like Colly says, it's a rare situation but it does happen. Martinelli probably had it in his head that the 2nd one was a free hit essentially as he hadn't yet been brought back regarding the 1st.

So had Martinelli made that block on the throw in, and a different Arsenal player had made the later foul, would you have accepted that as two bookings? Because if so, what you're arguing is that Martinelli gains some kind of immunity as soon as the advantage is played in which time he can do all sorts of wacky nonsense. 

• Like 2

There is something enjoyable about Man Utd being bang average and struggling. 

Especially when you hear about the rumours of players being dicks to the coaching staff and being primadonnas