US Soccer

HailtotheYo

6 minutes ago, gunnar hendershow said:

I'll have you know that this time around it will only be a matter of losing two games.

Thought they went back on the three team groups?

10 minutes ago, METALMAN said:

Qatar was bad enough but we need to stop letting these non-entities that will lose three games and get knocked out from hosting tournaments.

FIFA had to give it to CONCACAF so they can make sure Saudi are the only choice for 2034.

Just now, Captain Kirk said:

Thought they went back on the three team groups?

You know as soon as I posted that I remembered that had been discussed. They did change it. 12 groups, 4 teams each, top 2 + 8 best 3rd place teams advancing.

So to retract my previous statement. The hosts could all lose twice and still manage to advance.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This fan base is going to rage against USSF all over again when Klopp isn't hired because way too many QSMNT members and wannabe influencers on social media think that Klopp would absolutely want to break his plan of a year long sabbatical to coach a mediocre national team for a country he doesn't have any drawing to, and whose last coach made about 7 times less than Klopp was making at Liverpool.

• Haha 2

It's gonna be someone like Steve Cherundolo or a somewhat anonymous person already deeply ingrained in the US Soccer framework. Then they'll have a mediocre World Cup, Lalas will once again call out US Soccer and then contradict himself by supporting pay-for-play, and we'll be right back where we are yet again.

6 hours ago, Szumi said:

This fan base is going to rage against USSF all over again when Klopp isn't hired because way too many QSMNT members and wannabe influencers on social media think that Klopp would absolutely want to break his plan of a year long sabbatical to coach a mediocre national team for a country he doesn't have any drawing to, and whose last coach made about 7 times less than Klopp was making at Liverpool.

Klopp has declined and reiterated he wants to take a year off 

2 hours ago, gunnar hendershow said:

Klopp has declined and reiterated he wants to take a year off 

As was always going to be the end result. Thankful that silliness is over with, but it was at least nice to QSMNT get mad that Klopp immediately rejected any and all overtures!

Just now, Szumi said:

As was always going to be the end result. Thankful that silliness is over with, but it was at least nice to QSMNT get mad that Klopp immediately rejected any and all overtures!

I'm not sullying this thread with Alexi Lalas but he has a very measured response to this on TAFKA Twitter.

Spoiler

It's not measured at all

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Colly said:

Excuse my ignorance, but what's QSMNT? I know the MNT (Mutant Ninja Turtles :shifty:) but not the QS?

It's something a fair amount of USMMT fans call a particular subset of other USMMT fans that have spent the last several years making their entire personality about publicly hating Gregg Berhalter, creating ridiculous theories about several second cropped videos to show that players actually hated Berhalter and wanted him out, and other absurd conspiracy theories and bull shit antics that they are mocked for being as delusional and crazy as QAnon.

• Thanks 1

On 16/07/2024 at 06:12, gunnar hendershow said:

Get hyped for people acting like it should be easy for US Soccer to convince Gareth Southgate to coach the men's team.

Everything I've seen from the substantial crazy wing of the fan base is that they will rage if Southgate is hired. QSMNT pretty much said he's just Berhalter with a waistcoat, and that he actually underperformed as England manager. Presumably because England is really good in FIFA.

• 4 weeks later...

I think this is the best case scenario for USMMT. He's got the kind of reputation that will make QSMNT hopefully shut the fuck up for a year at least, and he's definitely better talent wise over just about any other option available to us. Tuchel is the only guy more talented, but he's also a bit of a cancer. He's very much been a club manager type where he wants time to get his system right and all that stuff, so curious to see how that translates.

I am extremely curious how his style works with a national team. How much he'll adapt to certain player's strengths and limitations, etc. For him professionally it's zero risk, either he isn't successful and just goes back to club management or he's wildly successful and can parlay this job into one of the "marquee" national team jobs.

Overall this is definitely a hiring that is worth a shot. Won't wind up any worse than if they went with any of the cavalcade of other names that seemed likely. Could wind up great though if he unlocks something with the current crop of players that Berhalter clearly was unable to.

And to @Szumi's point, until we don't win the Gold Cup or look bad in winning the Gold Cup it shuts up the worst segments of the fanbase.