The Sir Alex Ferguson Thread (For Manager related news)

Baddar

Kompany might have been a good deal for them, they need to look after their money now. He'll surely bring something interesting no matter what he does.

On 20/05/2022 at 12:12, Szumi - A Polack said:

Rose was not impressive by any means this season, but this is some Chelsea level stuff to sack a manager after finishing second 🤣

This is a total aside, but I love the story of Derek Rae.

• Like 1

No way Kompany cost less than any other realistic managerial appointment. They do also have nice big parachute payments to cushion their landing in the Championship. About time they got rid of those.

It is an odd one but their ownership did change 18 months ago and they've maybe not got the nous to suss out a sensible hire. Burnley haven't had to hire a manager in a very long time, after all.

Aren't Burnley meant to be a bit screwed in the old finance situation in terms of the takeover was done in a way that it's put a lot of debt on the club and the relegation has made that the debts got to be paid off earlier? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, DavidMarrio said:

Aren't Burnley meant to be a bit screwed in the old finance situation in terms of the takeover was done in a way that it's put a lot of debt on the club and the relegation has made that the debts got to be paid off earlier? 

Yeah - the Guardian did a piece on it earlier this week.

Ian Burchnall has left Notts County to become Forest Green's new manager. Strangely, it's the second time in recent years that Notts have had their manager poached by Forest Green.

I'm not sure how I feel about it. Burchnall seems like an intelligent coach who's committed to encouraging positive technical football, but he ultimately left Notts in more or less the same place they were when he joined. He never managed to sort out the team's long-standing problems with defending set-pieces and didn't seem to give them more fighting spirit.

I wonder if the techniques he tried to employ might have been too complicated for National League players to implement. Perhaps he might be able to get more out of a League One team.

Not especially, as Critchley worked in the youth set-up with Gerrard at Liverpool and has spent most of his career in coaching roles other than manager. He may feel stepping back up to a big Premier League club has a better opportunity for him than managing a bottom half Championship club, and he may also feel he's taken Blackpool as high as they can go.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly expect him to be sacked by the World Cup break. He did not do even mediocre in Belgium, really. Plus, the Championship is so difficult and Burnley are such a crapshoot right now with their finances and players wanting to leave.

• Like 1

Yeah you have to be actively bad to not do well at Anderlecht and he didn't do well at Anderlecht. I can't even rationalize the hire from a Burnley standpoint, especially when people who have established and rigid tactics are sitting out there. Which, especially right now, is something Burnley need.

Guess they'll be in League One or League Two soon enough all told.

Literally just because of his name. 3rd and 4th in the Belgian league wouldn't be enough to get the job otherwise. They'd have been better off with Carl Hoefkens, he's just won the Belgian league and has Championship playing experience with Stoke and West Brom. He's much more suited to the job unless your only remit is to try and get Man City U23 players on loan.

• Like 1

I am amazed Burnley haven't given Michael Duff a look. He played for them for years and was U23s coach after retiring, he's ended up at Cheltenham and done a brilliant job with them.

As it is, he's moved to Barnsley instead which is far below his ceiling. But seldom do young managers from L1/L2 every get hired by PL/ex-PL teams these days.

• Like 1

I am curious to see if Burnley sells their best assets. Tarkowski is leaving on a free, by all accounts to Everton, but I haven't heard anything on their players that could easily play in the Premier League/Top 5 league: Pope, Cornet, McNeil, even Weghorst moving back to Germany for about what they paid him for. 

Forest definitely need a keeper given the Samba situation (and Horvath is awful), but I'm not sure if they really have the money to buy Pope. He'd be an upgrade over Travers at Bournemouth surely, and Southampton definitely need an upgrade at keeper. I guess there's really not much of a market for Pope right now, since I don't think a lot of the Prem clubs need a new keeper, now that I type it out.