England - The Southgate Years

Lineker

55 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

skynews-euro-2022-lionesses_5851262.jpg?

Doesn't count as coming home if women do it apparently

I'd also wager that the women's team not having spent decades reliving former glories, whilst underperforming at tournament after tournament, plays a part in it.

• Admin

Eddie Howe has opened the door to a potential approach from the Football Association regarding the England manager’s vacancy by warning Newcastle’s revamped hierarchy that he could reconsider his future there if they fail to offer him sufficient autonomy.

Speaking at Newcastle’s pre-season training camp in southern Germany, Howe insisted he had a “burning desire” to lead the north-east club to a trophy, but he also flexed his muscles sufficiently to suggest that, if the right “boundaries” are not established in regards to a role he has held at St James’ Park since November 2021, he could be receptive to overtures from the FA should it deem him the right man to replace Gareth Southgate.

Howe suggested that the departure of Newcastle’s former co-owner Amanda Staveley, allied to the arrival of a new sporting director and performance director, has made for an unsettling summer on Tyneside. “For me being very, very proud to be Newcastle manager, this is all about Newcastle,” said the 46-year-old. “It’s not about England. So, as long as I am happy, feel supported, feel free to work in the way that I want to work, I have not thought of anything else other than Newcastle. I absolutely love the club. I love the supporters. I love where I am at in my career.”

Nonetheless, when asked if he would reject an approach from England, Howe became equivocal. “That is absolutely someone else’s conversation, not mine,” he said. “To speak about something else while manager of Newcastle is wrong.” There was a similar subtext to his reply to an inquiry as to whether he would still be in charge at St James’ Park come the start of the new season. “As long as I feel supported by the football club and free to work in the way that I want to work,” he said. “That’s the crucial thing.”

Newcastle’s Saudi Arabian-owners have been concerned about the series of injuries that saw the team drop to seventh in the Premier League last season after finishing fourth the previous year. Howe and the medical department were questioned about the reasons why so many players were in the treatment room during a recent meeting and a new performance director, James Bunce, has been appointed, partly to advise the manager on injury prevention.

Bunce is a close ally of Paul Mitchell, the new sporting director, who is expected to have a bigger involvement in player recruitment than his predecessor, Dan Ashworth. Under Ashworth and Staveley, Howe had the power to veto any prospective signing.

“There has been a lot of change,” said Howe. “It has been a very difficult summer for everyone connected with the club. With change comes always a new feeling. That’s why I’ve made the points that I have because this has to work for Newcastle. I have been really happy for two-and-a-half years. I have loved every second of the relationships that I’ve had and the way I’ve been able to work. I think that has brought success. We’re in the flux of change, I can’t say with a definitive answer where that will lead.”

Howe is among the frontrunners for the post following Southgate’s departure from the national team on Tuesday, alongside the likes of Graham Potter, Mauricio Pochettino and Jürgen Klopp. While in charge of Bournemouth, Howe described England as the ultimate job and one that would be impossible to turn down. Speaking on Friday, the Howe made it clear that things have since changed. “These are all historical quotes,” he said. “I think England is a very special job. I am very patriotic. I love my country. But I don’t have that job like a burning sensation in me that I have to do it at some stage.

“I’ve said before, if it happens at some stage in the future, then it’s to be for me. If not, then I’m very, very happy in the current role that I’m doing. The key driver for me has always been my happiness and my ability to do the job.”

Newcastle’s chief executive, Darren Eales, made it clear the club will fight to keep Howe soon after he was first link with the England job. “I’m not going to talk about the specifics of Eddie’s contract but he’s on a multi-year deal which was extended last summer,” said Eales. “He’s our employee and we’re not looking to release Eddie.”

Howe also made it clear on Friday, that he “absolutely wants to stay” at Newcastle before reiterating that the working environment there has to suit him for him to remain in situ. “There’s absolutely no point in me saying I’m happy staying at Newcastle if the dynamic isn’t right,” he said. “As a new team coming together we have to set our boundaries.

“That’s no criticism of anyone who has come in. Paul Mitchell has an outstanding record as a sporting director, he’s dynamic, he’s very strong, I think he’s exactly the sort of person Newcastle need to take the club forward. Early dealings with James Bunce have been top class. My early impression is he’s going to be fantastic, but it’s a new relationship and we have to see how we work together. Without going into too much detail the boundaries of relationship and how they’re going to work is slightly unclear.”

• 3 weeks later...
  • Admin

The Football Association board have given formal approval for the appointment of a foreign manager to replace Gareth Southgate.

The Guardian has learned that the chief executive, Mark Bullingham, went to his nine fellow board members to gain their backing to approach foreign candidates before beginning the recruitment process. The board are understood to have endorsed Bullingham’s request without putting it to a vote, although there were some dissenting voices.

Bullingham’s decision to go to the board indicates the FA has an open mind over who should replace Southgate as the England men’s manager and is determined to recruit the best candidate. During the board discussions it is understood the success of Sarina Wiegman in leading England’s women to win the 2022 European Championship was cited as a good precedent for considering a foreign manager.

Mauricio Pochettino and Thomas Tuchel are the leading overseas candidates because both are available after leaving Chelsea and Bayern Munich respectively last season, but their salary demands could be problematic for the FA, which was paying Southgate about £5m a year.

English contenders include Newcastle’s Eddie Howe and Graham Potter, who has been out of work since leaving Chelsea 16 months ago.

The FA’s search is being led by Bullingham and the technical director, John McDermott, who will assemble a shortlist and conduct interviews before returning to the board for ratification of their intended appointment. Given England’s next game is little over a month away – a Nations League tie in the Republic of Ireland on 7 September – and the squad is to be named a fortnight before, it is likely the Under-21 manager, Lee Carsley, will be asked to take interim charge.

Carsley could be a candidate to take the job on a permanent basis given his success in winning the Under-21 European Championship last summer, when his side won all six matches without conceding a goal and beat Spain in the final.

Bullingham is appointing his first senior England men’s manager, his predecessor, Martin Glenn, having given Southgate the job. Speaking before England’s run to the final of the European Championship last month Bullingham said the FA was working to a succession plan.

“Any organisation has a succession plan in place for their top employees and we are no different to that,” he said. “This succession plan normally includes everything from what you do for short-term cover through to a process you follow to candidates.”

This timed nicely with the discussion about English-born players who were eligible for Ireland in the Transfer Window Thread.

The Interim England manager has 40 caps for Ireland thanks to his granny from Cork.

• 3 weeks later...

Glad in a way that he's no longer going through what he has been

He's the first manager of England for me really, I learnt about the Lazio team he managed as I started to become more invested in football as a kid but the biggest thing really is  he always came across as a genuinely nice person.

I'm glad as well that he got the chance to manage the legends game at Anfield earlier in the year cause you could see during the build up and during the game just how much it meant to him. 

Rest in peace Sven. 

Very sad to hear that, but he's made the most of his remaining time from the seems of it.

All of my England memories really were under Sven. The 5-1 in Germany, Beckham against Greece and against Argentina, the rise of Rooney in 2004. I think Sven was a good manager for us even if we did flatter to deceive at major tournaments under him.

He's had a great career and hopefully a great and colourful life.

• Like 2

• Admin

Lee Carsley is not expected to reintegrate Ben White into the England squad when he makes his first selection as the interim manager on Thursday for the upcoming Nations League ties against Republic of Ireland and Finland.

White has not been involved with England since he returned early from the Qatar World Cup in December 2022 amid reports of a row with Steve Holland, who was then the assistant manager. The Arsenal defender’s situation is more nuanced, taking in how comfortable he has felt under the glare of the international spotlight, and the change of management after Euro 2024 from Gareth Southgate and Holland to Carsley has not changed things.

Carsley, who is understood not to have spoken to White, is determined to put his own stamp on the squad; that could mean he leans on players he knows from his previous role as the England Under‑21 manager, such as Cole Palmer and Anthony Gordon.

Rico Lewis is in the frame for a recall while Tino Livramento is hoping to be involved with the seniors for the first time. Carsley will consider the merits of other players from his under-21 days including Levi Colwill, Morgan Gibbs-White, Harvey Elliott, Noni Madueke, Morgan Rogers and James McAtee. Two others, Jarrad Branthwaite and Curtis Jones, have been injured so far this season.

Harry Maguire is pushing for a recall after missing out on Euro 2024 because of injury while Kieran Trippier is sweating on his place after being usurped by Livramento at Newcastle as the starting right‑back. Trippier did come on for him in the draw at Bournemouth on Sunday.

Kyle Walker has made it clear that he remains determined to carry on for England at the age of 34 – he has been unused on the Manchester City bench this season – while Carsley must decide whether to call up Aaron Ramsdale, Joe Gomez and Ivan Toney; none of them have played as yet this season. Toney’s situation has been linked to his desire to secure a move away from Brentford.

Carsley is unable to pick Luke Shaw or Jude Bellingham. Shaw is out with a calf problem, which he sustained at the beginning of pre-season with Manchester United, while Real Madrid have announced that Bellingham has plantar fasciitis in his foot.

Petition to change the subtitle of the thread to "The Carsley Caretakership"

• Admin

England defender Kieran Trippier has announced his retirement from international football.

The 33-year-old Newcastle full-back earned 54 England caps, famously scoring a stunning free-kick in the 2018 World Cup semi-final defeat to Croatia.

Trippier started the final of Euro 2020 against Italy - claiming an assist by setting up Luke Shaw's early goal - and also played at the 2022 World Cup and Euro 2024 this summer.

"I never thought as a young lad from Bury that I would play for my country let alone achieve 54 caps," Trippier wrote on Instagram. "It's been one of the biggest honours of my life to represent my country at 4 major tournaments. I want to say a big thank you to Gareth (Southgate, former manager) and all the staff that have worked with the England squad for the trust they have placed in me throughout the years. Thank you to all my team mates - we have had some very special moments reaching 2 Euro finals, and a World Cup semi final and I am sure in the future this group of players will win a major tournament."

Trippier announced his international retirement ahead of interim England manager Lee Carsley naming his squad for September's Nations League fixtures against the Republic of Ireland and Finland.