England - The Southgate Years

Lineker

Create a new thread when we appoint his replacement, I'd say.

I think it's going to be very tough to replace Southgate. He's done a fantastic job overall, but I think it is time for a fresh start. And if I were him I'd not want to take the public flak any longer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, therockbox said:

He's gone. Change the thread title!

Odds on it being Lampard or Gerrard?

If Lampard or Gerrard are appointed, I might change my nationality.

Howe feels like the best candidate but I guess that depends on whether he'd leave the Saudi money teat. Potter is probably who they turn to if Howe turns them down.

Outside shouts of Gary O'Neil and Michael Carrick, maybe? I'd love to see what a Marcelo Bielsa managed England looked like tbh.

I think Southgate will be remembered as one of the best ever England managers once the blinkers are off and people start to judge him objectively, not while a 0-0 against Slovenia is still in recent memory. He's literally achieved more than any manager except Alf Ramsay.

• Like 3

Just now, Chris2K said:

I think Southgate will be remembered as one of the best ever England managers once the blinkers are off and people start to judge him objectively, not while a 0-0 against Slovenia is still in recent memory. He's literally achieved more than any manager except Alf Ramsay.

He absolutely is #2, and it's a very big gap as well.

I also think he'd taken us as far as he could and never really improved on some glaring weaknesses in his management style, and a better manager might get more out of a very talented group of players. Equally the last time the FA actually underwent a recruitment process we ended up with Sam Allardyce, and Southgate only got a the job because of a sting operation and a pint of wine.

Could go either way.

Use the millions of pounds that the FA will be fining City to pay for Pep's wages. 

2 hours ago, METALMAN said:

I think if England are serious about achieving something wirh this very talented group of players they will have to go for an international hire. Eddie Howe is third rate.

Why would you say this with such talent as Steven Gerard, Frank Lampard and Alan Curbishley out there? I think you’re letting your Scottish bias get in the way of common sense.

3 hours ago, Chris2K said:

Glenn Hoddle won Le Tournoi.

The BBC has stated that the FA is unlikely to restrict its selection process to English managers, which brings up some intriguing possibilities.

Thinking back, I remember the FA in 2006 stating that the England manager following Sven would definitely be English, but then they offered the job to Luis Felipe Scolari.

Just to touch on Bielsa - he's got a very, very good thing going with Uruguay right now, however, if there was a chance for it to happen, now is definitely the time! Uruguay are facing bans for multiple players after the Copa SF chaos, and Bielsa pretty much went scorched earth on CONEMBOL as well after it too.

As an American, I am fully expecting Southgate to end up as the USMMT manager, which honestly will be hilarious because the crazy entitled portion of our fan base will be apoplectic about it since he doesn't play attractive enough football (which is the dumbest thing to care about in international football)

5 hours ago, Szumi said:

Just to touch on Bielsa - he's got a very, very good thing going with Uruguay right now, however, if there was a chance for it to happen, now is definitely the time! Uruguay are facing bans for multiple players after the Copa SF chaos, and Bielsa pretty much went scorched earth on CONEMBOL as well after it too.

As an American, I am fully expecting Southgate to end up as the USMMT manager, which honestly will be hilarious because the crazy entitled portion of our fan base will be apoplectic about it since he doesn't play attractive enough football (which is the dumbest thing to care about in international football)

No one who sat through our games at this tournament would say that.

21 hours ago, King Ellis said:

No one who sat through our games at this tournament would say that.

I mean it's just reality though. England have gotten to 2 Finals and a SF by playing pragmatic, safety first football. France won a World Cup and went a World Cup and Euro Final, also playing pragmatic, safety first football. Even Spain reverted from tiki-taka to being willing to concede possession and hit on the counter (although their counter attacking was much more entertaining than England's!)