England - The Southgate Years

Lineker

The FA continue to baffle me, in my role as the moulder of tomorrow's yoof through the medium of football, I get the same offer that schools get for discounted tickets to England games.

The rules are it's £10 per ticket to any player of the Nike Partnership Club and if you book five or more, you get two free tickets for parents / guardians.

Except you can't book more than three tickets at a time.

And you can't book more than three tickets in any one block of seats.

And the maximum number of free tickets you can book for parents / guardians is forty-nine...

• Like 1

Literally the worst England XI I have ever seen. No creativity, no pace. Should make for an absolutely woeful game of football.

I'm still baffled he didn't call up Wilshere, especially when he claims he isn't playing enough, yet Lindgard who has played all of 20 or so minutes more is there. Now he comes out and tells Arsene Wenger that he's playing him in the wrong position. :huh:

I've found everything Southgate has said this week really refreshing. People have made lots of the same complaints for years and years about England - that we don't pick players from smaller clubs, don't give enough young players chances at senior level soon enough, that the manager sticks with big names who never do anything for the team - yet here Southgate is bucking all those trends. He's giving RLC, Pickford, Winks, Abraham their shot instead of reverting to 'reliable' rubbish like Sturridge and Chamberlain. He's promoting U21 stand-outs when there's injuries, and he's not afraid to be ruthless with the likes of Rooney and Wilshere.

People are quick to take the piss and call this the worst England team ever, but we're literally missing half the first team. No Kane, no Alli, no Winks or Drinkwater (both seem/ed to be in line for that central midfield spot going forward), no Sterling, no Henderson. So what else is Southgate supposed to do here? Even Butland and Cahill are struggling or now definitely out, he does right picking young players eager to step up and take their chance at international level.

On Wilshere, I can't find anyone outside of the Arsenal fanbase who thinks he should be picked right now. He has barely played a game all season, he needs to be in the Arsenal side playing regularly, staying fit and then we'll see if he gets selected. He didn't exactly rip it up at Bournemouth last year.

• Like 7

My argument re Wilshere is that he is a lot different to what we have and is creative. Plus the argument about not enough game time doesn't hold up when others (see Lindgard) have barely played anymore football.

People forget how much of a role he played in the Euro qualifiers. Obviously there are jokes of how is always injured, but he stayed fit for the majority of last season and so far this, he hasn't picked up any niggling injuries.

I have spoken to a couple of Bournemouth fans who said they noticed when Wilshere wasn't in the side as they didn't keep the ball as well. Granted it isn't a representation of the entire fanbase.