England - The Southgate Years

Lineker

• Admin

England squad in full
Tammy Abraham (Swansea City - loan from Chelsea), Dele Alli (Tottenham), Ryan Bertrand (Southampton), Jack Butland (Stoke City), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Fabian Delph (Manchester City), Eric Dier (Tottenham), Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Joe Hart (West Ham United - loan from Manchester City), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Harry Kane (Tottenham), Jesse Lingard (Manchester United), Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Crystal Palace - loan from Chelsea), Harry Maguire (Leicester City), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Danny Rose (Tottenham), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), John Stones (Manchester City), Kieran Trippier (Tottenham), Jamie Vardy (Leicester City), Kyle Walker (Manchester City), Harry Winks (Tottenham), Ashley Young (Manchester United)

44 minutes ago, Liam Mk2 said:

I'm not being funny, but Jack Wilshere needs to be in the squad. When he's fit (:lol:) he is one of the best midfielders we have.

Loftus-Cheek. Really?

But he doesn't get in Arsenal's team, so why should he? If does, I'm sure he'll be back in the squad in a flash. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MadJack said:

Has Gomez been any good this season? Liverpool's defence has been slated fairly regularly...

He did keep Rashford and Martial in his back pocket at Anfield at full back :shifty:

Tbf our defensive problems (which have really been away from home rather than at Anfield) have been down to mistakes of the more senior players in defense (and Mignolet) rather than the likes of Gomez or Trent. 

2 hours ago, Liam Mk2 said:

He’s playing in Europe at the moment, granted it’s not week in and week out.

I just think, when you have two friendlies, why not? Wilshere is a more viable option for a big tournament than Loftus-Cheek will be. 

I’d say his injury record doesn’t suggest he would be a viable option. 

I like what we are doing recently with integrating long-serving U21’s into the England set up. They’ve come through the ranks and seem to be being rewarded for their performances at that age group as well as for their first teams. 

Wilshere starting in the Europa League isn’t worthy of a call-up, he was fit all last season and didn’t do much at Bournemouth. I’ve no doubt he will be a great addition to the England side if he keeps fit, but he has to win his place back, right?

Also hoping Kane doesn’t play in both games & also Hope Winks starts, he’s proven over the last few weeks he deserves a starting spot imo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gazz said:

He's played 13 minutes of Premier League football this season and was pivotal against Doncaster in the League Cup.

If he was 18, that would get him a call up. :shifty:

He was the big difference against us to be fair, that's got to count for something! :P

Refreshing to read Southgate's comments today - wants to implement 3 at the back, change the type of midfielders he goes with and acknowledges that whilst we've been effective in qualifying the style of play hasn't been up to scratch or what he wants going forward. All good stuff.