England - The Southgate Years

Lineker

16 hours ago, Gazz said:

Absolutely nothing from the midfield creatively without Dele in there. Henderson - Dier - Oxlade-Chamberlain, with about four career assists between them.

I hate to suggest it but what about Barkley or Wilshire? 

2 minutes ago, MDK said:

I hate to suggest it but what about Barkley or Wilshire? 

Jesus Christ. Is this genuinely where we are, Dele Alli is our only creative midfield player otherwise we play a permacrock and a player clearly not up to standard playing his Moussa Sissoko move for a Champions League club who can't even get a game for his current club? Not a knock on you, I can't think of many others, but it's not good. 

Hell, just go 442 and get another striker on. Or call up Peter Beardsley. 

• Like 1

Just now, Colly said:

Jesus Christ. Is this genuinely where we are, Dele Alli is our only creative midfield player otherwise we play a permacrock and a player clearly not up to standard playing his Moussa Sissoko move for a Champions League club who can't even get a game for his current club? Not a knock on you, I can't think of many others, but it's not good. 

That is why I hated to suggest it. Such a lack of talent at the moment. I hope Winks breaks into the Spurs first team properly this season and has a blinder just so we've got another option. I really cant think of other players to fit that playmaker role. Unless we just decide to go old school, 4-4-2 with wingers bombing down the flanks and getting crosses in for Kane to head them in or down to Rashford.

Or fuck it, play 3 at the back with Jones, Cahill and Stones playing as a libero. At least he can pick out a pass.

• Like 1

Three at the back is the way I'd go if we had enough talented CBs, but we don't. I'm not at all convinced by Cahill, nor the consistency of Jones or Smalling. Could stick Stones in there but it isn't enough. If Wilshere wasn't made of glass he would genuinely be a good shout for one of the two central midfield slots, at least he looks to get forward and take defenders on.

Yeah, Alli's not a creative midfielder as such, either. He's more of a foward these days - he can do the something out of nothing - but he's not as much of a creator. Eriksen is the player who makes Spurs tick creatively, and when he's not playing, Winks has stepped up recently. I honestly think Winks is the answer if he continues the way he's going. He's great with the ball and his instinct is to pass forwards or drive forwards. 

5 hours ago, Davidmarrio said:

I miss the days of enjoying international football when I was a kid. Seeing players and countries you had never seen play before. Having the sticker albums for the likes of France 98 etc. 

I want them days back :(

I think the allure of seeing the players themselves has faded now that we've got Youtube and every other online platform. I know that Sky Sports has been showing many international leagues for years, but most of the country doesn't have access to those channels, and so, before the internet became so ubiquitous, major tournaments were the only times you'd see some of the top international players. That buzz of seeing Ronaldo, Zidane and Batistuta (OK, I know you might have seen them from time to time on Football Italia) is now replaced by the more sobering realisation that the top players are all shattered from the domestic season.

• Like 2

On 06/10/2017 at 14:44, Adam said:

England are just boring beyond belief. There's no decisiveness to us at all, why do we play this turgid way?

Crucifixion.

Every England player plays with the knowledge that if they fuck up, or even play somewhat averagely, they're going to get destroyed in the press. so everything is played 100% safe.

• Like 1

Just as well the younger lads and the women are doing good stuff 'cos something is wrong with the mens team. Formation, style of play, pace, playing it safe (for Gazz's reason no doubt). We AREN'T the best team in the world and some selection shows a lack of world class players in various positions, but I don't think we even play to our "position" in the world right now.

Around the time of Fabio Capello's resignation, I couldn't remember a time when there was as much fan negativity towards the England team, and that included the Graham Taylor years. Right now, I see less biting negativity among fans, but it's been replaced by a great sense of apathy. At this point in time leading up to a major tournament, there used to be at least some buzz for the coming months, but the overwhelming impression I'm sensing now is of a "Who cares?" attitude.

Even though I quite like the man, the appointment of Gareth Southgate epitomised this. He's not a prolific head coach, and the fans, the players and the FA that appointed him knows it, but we've all accepted it because we know that a world class manager wouldn't make a big enough difference for anyone to really notice. He's got them playing a thoroughly dull and unadventurous style of football, but that's just a progression of how they've been over the past several years anyway.

I tend to have fun mocking the situation because, without that, I'm not sure I'd have a reason to watch them. I haven't felt that tinge of international football excitement when watching them for a good while now, and maybe it's because we've all come to see the whole thing as being more trouble than it's worth.