England - The Southgate Years

Lineker

I miss the days of enjoying international football when I was a kid. Seeing players and countries you had never seen play before. Having the sticker albums for the likes of France 98 etc. 

I want them days back :(

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Davidmarrio said:

I miss the days of enjoying international football when I was a kid. Seeing players and countries you had never seen play before.

Sealand vs Vanuatu is on Sky Sports 9 overnight at 5.20am

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Davidmarrio said:

I miss the days of enjoying international football when I was a kid. Seeing players and countries you had never seen play before. Having the sticker albums for the likes of France 98 etc. 

I want them days back :(

As much as I'm disillusioned by the boringness of the England team I'd be utterly lying if I said I didn't get massively into it by tournament time. Even with the European leagues being so international there'll still be players you don't know. Also I filled my sticker book for Brazil, and aim to do the same for Russia. 

England are just boring beyond belief. There's no decisiveness to us at all, why do we play this turgid way? When we have the odd friendly win over Germany or we play out of our skins against France and Spain, it tends to be because with the pressure off in a friendly we play a bit more 'Premier League style' and go for it, but then in a competitive game, even against dross like Malta, we play it cautiously, safe and scrape a win doing the bare minimum.

I like how Southgate comes across but there's no good reason to play two holding midfielders against teams like Malta and Lithuania, yet he does. If the front 4 at the World Cup isn't Rashford - Alli - Sterling, then Kane, we have no hope. Even then, we need those four playing with the freedom and creativity they do in the Premier League, rather than this ponderous shite we get served up when they turn out for England.