England - The Southgate Years

Lineker

That 'VAR Output' they're showing on ITV, is that exactly what the ref is being shown, ie. 'let's slow it down at the unimportant bits and then speed it up fivefold through the contact and rewind it back and forth really fast too'?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Gazz said:

That 'VAR Output' they're showing on ITV, is that exactly what the ref is being shown, ie. 'let's slow it down at the unimportant bits and then speed it up fivefold through the contact and rewind it back and forth really fast too'?

It appears so based on the shot they showed of the ref watching the monitor.

We are really missing a playmaker, someone to pick a pass from the midfield. Unless Southgate wants to revolutionise football and make the centrebacks the playmakers and have inverted fullbacks. brb, off to FM...

I know I sound like a broken record with the 4-4-2 hoofball but sometimes I honestly think it would work. Fucking sideways passing, we won't be Barca tikitaka Spain, just kick and rush.

1 hour ago, MDK said:

We are really missing a playmaker, someone to pick a pass from the midfield. Unless Southgate wants to revolutionise football and make the centrebacks the playmakers and have inverted fullbacks. brb, off to FM...

I know I sound like a broken record with the 4-4-2 hoofball but sometimes I honestly think it would work. Fucking sideways passing, we won't be Barca tikitaka Spain, just kick and rush.

I think we need a manager who is going to pick a team that will fit whatever system they are trying to implement rather then try to put something in place and pick players based of their reputation. I honestly wouldn't be arsed if a squad didn't have players from the "big 6" teams, I'd want an England team that would actually work.

Problem I find watching England is that they are so boring to watch a lot of the time. I know I'm spoilt watching Liverpool in which we're good going forward and most of the time shocking defensively but 9 times out of 10 I'm enjoying the football we play. With England it's slow crab football with no one taking any chances.

We've got some decent players that you could build a team around but unusually I think the problem is we are alright for players in the wide areas. I mean I would play Rashford and Sterling on the wings and then either play Vardy and Kane up top or have one of them up front. But when it comes to goalkeeper, centre backs, centre mids they're probably the weak points. It's like the anti-spine. 

It's mad though how players will be good for their club and then when they play for England it's like night and day. Case in point Henderson for Liverpool is a different player than Henderson for England. He's garbage for England a lot of the time whereas for Liverpool he's setting the tempo and spraying passes.  A midfield two of Dier and Henderson is just so uninspiring. If Wilshere wasn't a cripple I'd be playing him cause he's going to try to make something happen in midfield.  

I would say we are really missing a creative central midfielder, but that isn't down to the manager. Gareth Southgate is doing a good job so far, he is implementing a style of playing that is far, far, far better than anything served up by Hodgson or Capello. He is committed to playing proper possession football and is clearly not just shoehorning players into it. He's using these games now for what they're best used as: experiments for players in positions and set-ups.

I think our 'front four' is set, with Kane up top, Rashford and Sterling wide and probably Dele Alli in the #10. We're a bit stuck behind them because Henderson and Dier are both not going to be the impetus for attacking that we need someone in that position to be, but who else is there? Wilshere is the best but his injury woes are well documented, then there's maybe Ruben Loftus-Cheek, who has been injured himself this season and lacks experience. Oxlade-Chamberlain doesn't cut it out there for me, he'd be on the bench backing up the wingers. We have some good options at wing back (Young/Bertrand, Walker/Trippier) and you can see he is trying to craft a balanced back three. Walker could be a surprise inclusion there because he's done well this week and has the pace and positional awareness, and I'd be going with Maguire on the other side based on what I've seen this season. Stones isn't quite there yet but he's going to be the linchpin of this England defence for the next decade, he is the ball-playing centre half that a side playing this style needs and he is getting there, albeit still with a ricket in him at a moment's notice.

So we're short a playmaking centre midfielder and probably someone more experienced in the heart of defence but otherwise things are looking good for the next few years in my opinion.

• 4 weeks later...

It's terrible luck for Chamberlain, his form this season deserved a spot in the squad but I'm not sure he was a good fit for the side anyway. Southgate kept playing him in the two man midfield and it just doesn't work, he's not got the defensive discipline. If we played like Liverpool it'd be fine but we don't, so it was difficult to see where he'd go.