EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2020: The Results

GoGo Yubari

9 hours ago, Lint said:

Agents of SHIELD wasn't rated last year?  That can't be right.  The MCU TV thread was literally just that show for a long time.   

I was shocked when it happened but on the other hand, that penultimate season was really bad, I thought. Some fun stuff in space and the FitzSimmons two-hander was a highlight but I literally couldn't bring myself to finish it until right before the final season (which was very good!) started.

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

I quit on Agents of Shield when

Hide contents

They finally gave me Fitzsimmons as a couple and then pulled it away again and were like "lol he is in a space pod maybe it can still happen!" No! Screw you Agents of Shield. You will have no more views from Srar!

Yeah, that was a slap in the face. I hated it. 

It all made sense with the final season though, so I was fine with it. The final season was loads of fun too, with loads of nods to previous seasons and other MCU properties. 

I assume it's on Netflix UK since it's a Netflix Original, but like RPS said, they released all 3 seasons last year. Season 1 in January, season 2 in June, season 3 in October. 10 a piece.

6 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

I was shocked when it happened but on the other hand, that penultimate season was really bad, I thought. Some fun stuff in space and the FitzSimmons two-hander was a highlight but I literally couldn't bring myself to finish it until right before the final season (which was very good!) started.

Oh right...I remember now the Not-Phil Sarge and the mind control bats...yea that wasn't a good season

The Crown is wonderful.

Kipo is even more wonderful, the best show last year besides BoJack.

Haven’t kept up with AoS because for me the show ended in season 5. 

Never watched the Umbrella Academy but it looks right up my alley.

LoT is the best comic show, and steals my heart with every episode. Love it so much.

A really good bunch there!

1 hour ago, Benjamin said:

LoT is the best comic show, and steals my heart with every episode. Love it so much.

The last season of AoS is basically "Agents of SHIELD become the Legends of Tomorrow"

15 hours ago, Benjamin said:

The Crown is wonderful.

Kipo is even more wonderful, the best show last year besides BoJack.

Never watched the Umbrella Academy but it looks right up my alley.

A really good bunch there!

I'm 99% sure the best comic show hasn't appeared yet (The Boys is the answer)

On to the top ten, with four decidedly different types of shows.

hfBAien.jpg

10. Taskmaster (378 points) (Last Year: #27)

7qh5uS3.jpg

9. The Plot Against America (413 points) (Last Year: NR)

BPBtzOO.jpg

8. The Queen's Gambit (427 points) (Last Year: NR)

DythSbF.jpg

7. Brooklyn Nine Nine (783 points) (Last Year: #8)

Next Time, on EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2021: Sometimes life's a bitch and you keep on living.

• Like 2

I was disappointed with the latest season of The Umbrella Academy. I think part of it is the loyalty to the source material, but I also think that the show missed the boat on the emotional arcs; it kind of becomes convoluted and not as fun as it should be. I hope they find their way back with Season 3, which I think I'll probably stick with. 

Totally dug The Plot Against America and was surprised it didn't get a bit more love. 

I really should watch The Queen's Gambit at some point too. 

I've heard The Queen's Gambit is rather good. Same for some of these other shows. Haven't seen any of them. I think I dipped on B99 a few years ago, wasn't really holding my interest anymore and since we cut the cord I haven't cared to catch up. Last I remember was Holt and Jake in Florida.

1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

Totally dug The Plot Against America and was surprised it didn't get a bit more love. 

I genuinely hadn't heard of it. Googled and it sounds really interesting.

Not that I voted anyway, I mainly binge watched Jonathan Creek last year...

• Like 1

I'd love for B99 to go out as #1 next year. Been a phenomenal show with superb comedic consistency across its run.

I am new to the Taskmaster hype train but absolutely love it. I've only seen the first four seasons though so didn't vote on it for this year!

Catching up.

Last Week Tonight remains as solid as ever. GoGo’s right that it’s probably the only show poised to duplicate Supernatural’s feat.

Lovecraft Country wasn’t sheer perfection, but what is. There were so many goddamn elements of that show that I ADORE. I feel like there’s absolutely a built-in way to do a Season Two (that would take it in a bit of a different direction), and I would be all over that. (Allll that said, the use of the Native American trans character (who was briefly there) was pretty offensive.)

I am so sad I didn’t get to Kipo soon enough to put it on my list, especially since it’s ALREADY done. Very high quality show for anyone.

Taskmaster just stands alone. There’s nothing else quite like it and I love that. I hope it runs forever.

Brooklyn Nine Nine is such a journeyman comedy. Solid every season, but always just short of being THE best. It’s a long time favorite of mine and I’m glad to see it this high. As I’ve said elsewhere though, I do NOT have a good feeling about this upcoming final season.

• Like 1