Paul Ince on Luke Ayling

"I love his long hair, it makes me laugh."

Top punditry.

Up there with his management skills whilst at Blackburn that level of insight

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, DavidMarrio said:

Up there with his management skills whilst at Blackburn that level of insight

Aye, play last season's player of the year left back in centre midfield with Keith "collected 12 crisp packets and won a golden ticket" Andrews. Fucking grim.

• Like 1

On 24/04/2021 at 16:49, Colly said:

Imagine if Liverpool are actually shit in front of fans and it only gets worse next season.

I don't have to imagine, I saw it in the mid 1990's and the mid 2010's

On 24/04/2021 at 16:09, Adam said:

Liverpool have not suffered any more or less from having no fans in the stadium than Everton, than Man Utd, than Newcastle, than Doncaster or Plymouth or Gainsborough or Vauxhall bloody Motors. It has affected every team and player and cannot at all be put down as a factor why Liverpool have gone backwards this season, because every team they've fallen behind in the table has the same issue.

I agreee with you up to the point where you say it can't be a contributing factor. It surely has to be?

According to ESPN in Feb 2021, the majority of Premier League teams have been effected by playing in front of no crowds. Home wins are down 2%. Away wins are up 26%. Home goals are down, away goals are up.

It is obviously a contributing factor for the results of a majority of teams in the Premier League. Liverpool are included in that number.

That said, I wouldn't sit here and say its just Liverpools problem alone or that getting fans back in stadiums would fix everything. That would be a silly statement to make.

As I said originally it exists alongside other ones like long term injuries to key players and a dip in form, player fatigue and other issues.

These things don't exist in a vaccum.

2 hours ago, Hobo said:

I agreee with you up to the point where you say it can't be a contributing factor. It surely has to be?

According to ESPN in Feb 2021, the majority of Premier League teams have been effected by playing in front of no crowds. Home wins are down 2%. Away wins are up 26%. Home goals are down, away goals are up.

It is obviously a contributing factor for the results of a majority of teams in the Premier League. Liverpool are included in that number.

That said, I wouldn't sit here and say its just Liverpools problem alone or that getting fans back in stadiums would fix everything. That would be a silly statement to make.

As I said originally it exists alongside other ones like long term injuries to key players and a dip in form, player fatigue and other issues.

These things don't exist in a vaccum.

No you're right, what I should have said more clearly is that it is no more a factor than for other sides as some have argued.

Yes, a big Anfield atmosphere can help the team, and yes the odd club might do better without the hostile home pressure like West Ham, but I do not think that Liverpool have been affected by it more so than other teams enough to use it as a reason why they've slid down the table, especially when they were going great at the top in the first half of the campaign without any fans.

Thing I would say though, our front fours finishing has been woeful this season which is mad to say when Salah has scored the amount he is. No matter the injuries, lack of fans etc there's been plenty of games we haven't put to bed.

There's still plenty of twists left in the fight for top 4...because really a lot of the teams are dropping points and can't string a few wins together. I just don't see us not dropping points. We deserved to draw against Newcastle because we couldn't finish our chances. After the Leeds draw we needed to ideally win every game left and draw against United. I just don't think we'll win 4 and draw 1

If we didn't get top four and any of the players came and went I want Champions League football I'm off, the only one who id be like yeh fair enough would be Salah. If someone like Mane wanted to go I'd be like well if you could actually finish this season we'd have Champions League. 

6 hours ago, Baddar said:

So that's why the Spotify prices are increasing.

Screenshot_20210426-201738_Instagram.jpg

It's gonna be like if you have the free version and you'd always get adverts for tickets for the Man City game 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Is it petty that I'm tempted to switch back to Apple Music if this goes through, just so I'm not funding a rival (lol) club? It's not something I'd normally do but given I've used both and only laziness stops me switching it might push me over the edge...

I still find it ridiculous that Chelsea let Salah and De Bruyne go. I know players slip through the net, but you wouldn't find many arguments against them being the best players in the league over the last few years.

• Admin

Financial Times: Premier League seeks government approval to scrap TV rights auction

Spoiler

The Premier League is seeking UK government approval to scrap its upcoming domestic media rights auction, and instead roll over its existing £5bn broadcasting deal with Sky, BT and Amazon.
English football’s top division is pushing for the move, according to people familiar with the talks, after clubs involved in the failed European Super League had sought to “stall” the decision as their focus switched towards the money-spinning breakaway tournament.
The Premier League’s attempt to scrap its planned auction represents a marked change from its past tactics of pitting broadcasters against each other in regular rights sales, helping stoke the steady inflation of its multibillion-pound television deals. This money has fuelled huge increases in transfer fees paid to buy star players and pay their multimillion-pound wages. 

Instead of the planned auction, the Premier League hopes to conduct a private sale to its existing partners Sky, BT and Amazon, according to several people with knowledge of the discussions.
It would then be able to offer deals for the three seasons between 2022 and 2025 on terms broadly similar to those signed in 2018.
The aim is to provide financial stability to elite English clubs that have faced steep revenue shortfalls due to the lack of gate receipts.
Meanwhile, rival national leagues in Germany and Italy have recently suffered a fall in the value of their screening deals over the past year.

Premier League executives have wanted to move ahead with the plan for several months, but some of its biggest clubs sought additional time to review the proposals, according to other executives familiar with recent talks across the division.
That decision to stall the media rights sale caused further anger last week when England’s so-called “Big Six” clubs; Manchester United, Manchester City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur, announced they would join a European Super League.
Rival club chiefs were furious with the Super League concept, which was quickly scrapped in the face of mass protests from fans and politicians, believing it would damage the value of Premier League TV rights contracts.

A key part of the Premier League’s appeal to broadcasters is the intense battle between teams to qualify for European competition — a race that would be made redundant by a Super League in which clubs would be guaranteed their places each season. 
Richard Masters, chief executive of the Premier League, has also warned that clubs are set to miss out on £2bn of revenues across the two seasons disrupted by the pandemic, due to lost ticket sales and rebates paid to TV companies for postponed fixtures. 

Across Europe, a combination of advertising losses during the pandemic and the “cord-cutting” of younger viewers switching to digital services is leading traditional broadcasters to rein in spending on sports rights. 
Simon Green, head of BT Sport, told the Financial Times Business of Football Summit in February that “there’s certainly going to be a rights correction and it may be seen and interpreted by many as rights deflation”.
Italy’s Serie A last month approved a domestic media rights sale, led by sports streaming service DAZN, worth about €810m a season between 2021-2024, a roughly 20 per cent drop on its existing deal.
The Premier League, UK government, Sky, BT and Amazon declined to comment.