Premier League 2020/21

METALMAN

8 minutes ago, Colly said:

They aren't the same, and I honestly don't believe you think they are either.

Neither player is in control of the ball, both players have the right to go for the ball, as a result of going for the ball a player unintentionally commits "serious foul play" on the opposition player. Either both are red cards or neither are.

When someone tells me what Cooper was supposed to do in that situation that isn't "just let Jesus run through on goal despite the fact he was second to the ball", I might accept that it's a red card but then Sterling should have been off twice over.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Matt said:

When someone tells me what Cooper was supposed to do in that situation that isn't "just let Jesus run through on goal despite the fact he was second to the ball"

How about... not go studs up into Jesus's knee regardless of what happened in a game last week or months ago?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MadJack said:

How about... not go studs up into Jesus's knee regardless of what happened in a game last week or months ago?

He kicks the ball you fucking melt, you know the point of the game. The fuck did I even click show post for.

• Confused 1

Defenders have had to be far cleverer than that for years. He needs to improve his starting position so he can win the ball without going to ground, and if he can't manage that he needs to

12 minutes ago, MadJack said:

not go studs up into Jesus's knee regardless of what happened in a game last week or months ago?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Colly said:

Defenders have had to be far cleverer than that for years. He needs to improve his starting position so he can win the ball without going to ground, and if he can't manage that he needs to

But he gets to the ball before Jesus, if he doesn't have the right to go for the ball then neither does Jesus. He also doesn't go in with his studs, he kicks the ball and the act of doing that means he catches Jesus. Football isn't played in slow motion replays, he catches him with his studs in the same way that Sterling stamps on Meslier.

Again, if Cooper dives in head first and Jesus clatters into him is it a red card? Of course not, no one would even argue it.

33 minutes ago, Matt said:

He kicks the ball you fucking melt, you know the point of the game. The fuck did I even click show post for.

And follows through, studs up into his knee. What did you expect the ref to do, nosh him off? No he sent him off for serious foul play, which very much isn't the point of the game.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Matt said:

But he gets to the ball before Jesus, if he doesn't have the right to go for the ball then neither does Jesus. He also doesn't go in with his studs, he kicks the ball and the act of doing that means he catches Jesus. Football isn't played in slow motion replays, he catches him with his studs in the same way that Sterling stamps on Meslier.

If Jesus goes in lunging and catches him with his studs on the follow through he'd be sent off. It wouldn't have been a red a decade ago but has been for a long time. Sterling doesn't stamp on Meslier, he treads on him lightly in the act of going for the loose ball, the chances of injury are slim at worst and he's booked accordingly. You can't argue "football isn't played in slow motion replays" then argue two things are the same based on still photos.

And I'm not sure why you keep repeating the diving header hypothetical to be honest.

It shows what I'm used to being given as fouls nowadays because it didn't surprise nor anger me in the slightest. 

And once the ref comes to the screen, the pressure is already on him to change his mind. Very, very rarely do they stand by their original call.

Just now, Baddar said:

It shows what I'm used to being given as fouls nowadays because it didn't surprise nor anger me in the slightest. 

And once the ref comes to the screen, the pressure is already on him to change his mind. Very, very rarely do they stand by their original call.

Tell that to Trent getting kneed in the back of the head :shifty: