Premier League 2020/21

METALMAN

I was doing my finance degree as they started their collapse and me and a few mates bought shares in them using the logic "they couldn't go any lower". Needless to say I no longer work in finance.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, metalman said:

I’m a bit late to this but that Leeds owner is a bit of a part isn’t he.

With this and the racist goalie they’ve done a pretty good job of shooting their “everyone’s second favourite team” status down in flames, eh?

Say that in South Yorkshire and you'll likely get stabbed with a pen! 

• Like 1

I thought Leeds was West Yorkshire? I could take those people.

Leeds is West Yorkshire. Everyone is South Yorkshire hates Leeds. 

20 hours ago, metalman said:

I’m a bit late to this but that Leeds owner is a bit of a part isn’t he.

With this and the racist goalie they’ve done a pretty good job of shooting their “everyone’s second favourite team” status down in flames, eh?

I'm assuming this was about the Karen Carney or whatever she's called thing. I don't get why it's an issue, she said something stupid and disrespectful, the Twitter account called them out on it like they've called out multiple people in the past but because she's a female pundit, apparently it was sexist. 

Then when the professionally offended realised that we weren't singling her out because she was a woman, they changed their argument to it not being professional despite the fact that company Twitter accounts (particularly in sports) get lauded for similar tweets on a regular basis. And of course, it's entirely professional for a pundit to do zero research into a team they're commenting on and baselessly dismiss their hard work and achievements as "because of covid".

If that stops this "everyone's second team" bollocks though, I'm all for it.

• Sad 1

It's really not the job of the social media manager of a football club to respond to punditry of any kind. I can't think of a time when an official club account has directly responded to a piece of punditry. Admittedly, I don't follow that many of them. Most official club accounts I've seen tend to stick to reporting official club news and club marketing - and really, that's all you need from them.

It isn't professional and it's particularly bad because it's directed at a woman. Let's not forget that some of the most toxic online discouse of the last 5 years or so was based soley on online harrassment of women. Which, if you're running a social media account for a Premier League football club you have to know something about.

If you're running a large social media account pointing at one person for critising you or something related to you to your followers is going result in dogpiling. I'd say it is particularly egregious when it's done from an account that represents a particular brand.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Regular Hobo said:

It's really not the job of the social media manager of a football club to respond to punditry of any kind. I can't think of a time when an official club account has directly responded to a piece of punditry. Admittedly, I don't follow that many of them. Most official club accounts I've seen tend to stick to reporting official club news and club marketing - and really, that's all you need from them.

It isn't professional and it's particularly bad because it's directed at a woman. Let's not forget that some of the most toxic online discouse of the last 5 years or so was based soley on online harrassment of women. Which, if you're running a social media account for a Premier League football club you have to know something about.

If you're running a large social media account pointing at one person for critising you or something related to you to your followers is going result in dogpiling. I'd say it is particularly egregious when it's done from an account that represents a particular brand.

Spot on. That last paragraph is the real issue - if the official blue tick Leeds United account is saying something, it gives their actual sexist and horrible fans (the element of their fanbase that is that I mean) carte blanche to pile on her. Clubs can't be seen to be encouraging that, whether at a woman or not.

Official club accounts do engage in what now passes for "banter" sometimes but mostly they do not wade into this stuff and it is for that reason. They have to be seen to be professional, it is an official club communications channel in the modern age.

Maybe she and other pundits will think twice before saying stupid unfounded shit in the future or God forbid do some research rather than making soundbites in a bid to sound informed. The club have every right to defend their employees' integrity. 

And it's not worse because it's a woman, it's the fucking same, that's what equality is. They called her out like they've called out multiple male pundits over the past couple of years, she doesn't get a pass because she's a woman. Hasselbaink is a shitter for agreeing but he wasn't the one who made the point.

The whole thing has been blown up because people wanted to make it about sexism.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Maybe she and other pundits will think twice before saying stupid unfounded shit in the future or God forbid do some research rather than making soundbites in a bid to sound informed. The club have every right to defend their employees' integrity. 

But she was right though.

Also I don't think Carney was attacking the integrity of Leeds. She said nothing about their ethical or moral principles (although recent developments have certainly cast them into a lot of doubt). She was questioning their stamina. Stamina is not integrity.

• Like 4

But she was right though.

Also I don't think Carney was attacking the integrity of Leeds. She said nothing about their ethical or moral principles (although recent developments have certainly cast them into a lot of doubt). She was questioning their stamina. Stamina is not integrity.

Except she wasn't right. We didn't get promoted because of Covid, not even slightly. Integrity was probably not the right word, but if some smart arse cunt had told me that I got a pay rise or promotion or whatever at the end of the year because of Covid rather than the fact I'd worked my arse off all year and been more productive than my peers, I'd go tell them to go fuck themselves. I bet she wouldn't like it if some pundit told her she'd got her footballing accolades because she got carried by the best players in her team, and rightly so.