Euro 2020(1)

Lineker

Of course it was a red, it was dangerous and could have seriously injured the Ukraine player. People need to get "accidental" out of their head when it comes to fouls in football.

Danielson clearly did not mean to do what he did, he was clearing the ball, but he was wild in doing so and so the dismissal was correct. Unfortunate but correct. Sweden will rue that but if Forsberg scores one of those two glorious chances in the second half of normal time it never even gets to that point.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

He's purely kicking the ball away. The other player runs into him and they collide in the most awful way. Not even a foul for me. That's like saying contesting any ball that results in a possible injury is a red card. Intent is absolutely key when it comes to deciding a red or not.

It's less of a foul every time I see it. Players are allowed to kick balls while the ball is in the air. That's not reckless. I could understand if he is going in for a tackle with his foot high, or leaving his leg up after he kicks the ball, but that's clearly not the case.

He goes studs up, at the knees' height. He kicked the ball but that was reckless nonetheless. From The FA's website:

SENDING-OFF OFFENCES

A player, substitute or substituted player who commits any of the following offences is sent off:

• denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by a handball offence (except a goalkeeper within their penalty area)
  • denying a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent whose overall movement is towards the offender's goal by an offence punishable by a free kick (unless as outlined below)
  • serious foul play
  • biting or spitting at someone
  • violent conduct
  • using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or action(s)
  • receiving a second caution in the same match
  • entering the video operation room (VOR)

A player, substitute or substituted player who has been sent off must leave the vicinity of the field of play and the technical area.

SERIOUS FOUL PLAY

A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

His foot is ball height (which is shin height), clears the ball with no knowledge of an opposing playing charging him who then runs into him before he can retract his leg. He isn't sliding in like a maniac with his studs up. You could argue Besedin should pull out or hop him, but honestly it's anyone's ball, both are fully entitled to try to get the touch. When Besedin plants his leg it perfectly coincides with Danielson's straight leg and we get that awful hyperextension. No one would be expected to predict that, so it shouldn't be deemed reckless. Studs are shown constantly when balls are cleared, it's just coincided with the arrival of Besedin's shin on this occasion.

Ukraine cleared the ball in an almost exactly identical manner. They just didn't have someone run into their studs. A red card still feels like a crazy decision to me when it objectively looks like a freak accident. Similar to a clash of heads when contesting a ball.

Intent isn't even part of the criteria for deciding serious foul play anymore. It was a pretty clear red by the current laws, but to save us all repeating ourselves all the probable arguments are in the Premier League thread from when that Leeds defender got sent off against Man City, and when Balbuena was sent off but had it rightly rescinded post game.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Kraig said:

He's purely kicking the ball away. The other player runs into him and they collide in the most awful way. Not even a foul for me. That's like saying contesting any ball that results in a possible injury is a red card. Intent is absolutely key when it comes to deciding a red or not.

It's less of a foul every time I see it. Players are allowed to kick balls while the ball is in the air. That's not reckless. I could understand if he is going in for a tackle with his foot high, or leaving his leg up after he kicks the ball, but that's clearly not the case.

Of course it's reckless. I'm not sure you understand the law based on this post to be honest.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MadJack said:

Laugh at the German press and pundits who were calling this Germany's "easiest game" and talking about playing at "our Wembley"?

I would, but I don't know the German for schadenfreude

• Like 5