Premier League 2019/20

Lineker

34 minutes ago, Lineker said:

I've been meaning to post those lists all week - it's the top 10 bonkers PL moments: 

2) Di Canio pushing the ref over

4) Di Canio pushing the ref over

OBJECTION 

Paul Alcock took a dive after a gentle push and used that to create a diversion for the fact he ignored Keown hitting Di Canio in the mouth.

For the topic at hand, I know it's a different type of "bonkers" but THAT QPR/City game belongs in there. You have Barton getting hit and sent off for retaliating and then turning the madness up in desperation to bring some City players off with him. United fans celebrating and then that incredible winner. Deserves a place on a WTF list... Although you could probably do a Barton special.

Edited by lanky316

• Admin

Best players outside of the "Big Six"

Shearer:

1. Gary Speed
  2. Matt Le Tissier
  3. Jamie Vardy
  4. Gareth Southgate
  5. David Batty
  6. Paolo di Canio
  7. Kevin Phillips
  8. Tim Cahill
  9. Juninho
  10. Jay-Jay Okocha

Wright:

1. Jamie Vardy
  2. Matt Le Tissier
  3. Gary Speed
  4. Kevin Phillips
  5. Paolo Di Canio
  6. Tim Cahill
  7. David Batty
  8. Gareth Southgate
  9. Juninho
  10. Jay-Jay Okocha

It's a slightly weird category that given you've got players in Jamie Vardy who've won the title, and Newcastle players who played fairly regular Champions League football. Speed and Batty at the time were playing well above the level of Tottenham and particularly Man City. 

Ask a silly question, but where's Alan Shearer?

I agree that imposing the current "Big Six" concept retroactively is rather silly. Leeds were arguably part of the "big" teams from 1997 to 2002 and Newcastle have had multiple periods where they could also be considered. Spurs have technically been in the wider mix for ages but weren't much more than a "best of the rest" team until recently. The only reason a "Big Six" even exists is because Man City and Spurs caught up with the "Big Four". Pre-money City being irrelevant to this list doesn't even need explaining, they weren't even in the Premier League for five of those seasons.

It's a shame that there isn't any variation in their lists, which have the same ten players in different orders. One of them having someone like Leighton Baines, Phil Jagielka, or Mark Viduka if you want a slightly older name, would at least have made it seem more interesting.

The lack of Shearer is presumably modesty on his part. Can't explain why Ian wouldn't put him on there though.

I did think about Leeds but given most of their top players (maybe Viduka excluded) moved to or from "top 6" clubs it doesn't leave them with many.

And yep it looks like the players were pre selected somehow. I'd probably have had any number of midfielders ahead of Batty (Lee, Solano) though I suppose he had won a title at Blackburn.

They were pre-selected, they had the list on BBC sport last week as one of those interactive bits where you can pick your order and share it on social media. I had the same top three as them. I was a bit put out by the retroactive top six too, David Batty finished top two for four consecutive seasons at one point and then had three top six finishes with Leeds later.

Pretty sure Man City still aren't top six in the all-time Premier League table either.

It's hardly a fair comparison though. Everton are 38 points ahead of them but City have played 191 fewer games. City leapfrog both Spurs and Everton to take 5th based on the Points/Match column. Everton drop down to 9th with Newcastle, Blackburn, and Leeds all overtaking them.

Link if anyone is interested in looking.

1 hour ago, Naitch said:

It's hardly a fair comparison though. Everton are 38 points ahead of them but City have played 191 fewer games. City leapfrog both Spurs and Everton to take 5th based on the Points/Match column. Everton drop down to 9th with Newcastle, Blackburn, and Leeds all overtaking them.

Link if anyone is interested in looking.

Isn't that kind of the point in this case though? We're looking at an all time Premier League "outside of top 6" team but Man City are "top 6" despite a big chunk of time outside the top flight. Mathematically have they spent more seasons finishing in the top 4 than Newcastle or Leeds?

In general the all time league table is fairly pointless given it's arbitrary 1992 start date.

2 hours ago, RazorsEdge said:

Beginning of 2002/2003 season to the end of the 2005/2006 season.

Bolton were such a fun team during that period and a little bit after that too. Just liked to turn up and ruin everyone's day. Hell, Big Sam is still trading off of that period where the likes of Anelka and others rocked up to Bolton and had them beating the 'big' teams.