EWB Sports Hall of Fame - Ballot 3

sahyder1

EWB Sports HOF  

49 members have voted

1. 1. If you had to vote for one of the 6 inductees it would be.....

• Michael Jordan
    • Muhammad Ali
    • Wayne Gretzky
    • Pele
    • Babe Ruth
    • Jackie Robinson

Ballot 2 Results are now up and the inductees will be enshrined here. Going to keep it real simple. Like I said before...going to keep it real simple. List 5 people in order. Whoever you rank as #1 will get 10 points, 5 for 2nd, 3 for 3rd, 2 for the fourth and 1 for the 5th. We'll induct the top 3 and then have a fresh ballot next month and go from there. Only restriction I can think of is that the athlete must be someone who's been retired for at least 3 years. Other then that athletes (male or female) from all sports are fair game. There is no quota you have to fill. So your ballot can be 5 athletes from the same sport or you can choose to have a diverse group. An active coach can go in.....but they must have been a coach for a minimum of 10 years. The next class will be inducted February 28th.

Simple guidelines that I'm following:

*Player must be retired for 3 years...but active coaches who have coached at least 10 years can go in.

*Inductees must appear on a minimum of 20% of the ballots to get in. If some months we only induct one or two people...so be it. (This rule is up for vote here)

*Since it was a major problem on the first ballot let me remind you again that a player must be retired for 3 years...but active coaches who have coached at least 10 years can go in.

*In case of 2 guys getting same amount of points the tiebreaker will be:

*Fewer Ballots

*Most First place votes

*Most Second place votes

*Most Third place votes

*Most Fourth place votes

*Most Fifth place votes

*If it is still a tie then we'll do a poll.

*Did I mention the retired for 3 years part?

My ballot:

Jim Thorpe

Don Bradman

Diego Maradona

Jack Nicklaus

Ted Williams

Edited by sahyder1

1. Jerry Rice

2. Joe Montana

3. Barry Sanders

4. Bob Gibson

5. Steve Young

The biggest problem with the voting is that there's so many people that have different opinions that for the most part, everybody will continue to vote for the same people each time. I will, because Jerry Rice should be in there already, damnit.

1. Billy Bremner

2. Don Bradman

3. Bjorn Borg

4. Steve Redgrave

5. Seve Ballesteros (technically only retired in 2007 but he wasn't really competing at this point, if I can't have him then Jack Nicklaus)

Edit: Come on Jam, we'll get King Billy in here sooner or later.

Edited by Footjob Fever

1. Bobby Moore

2. Steve Redgrave

3. Bjorn Borg

4. Joe Frasier

5. Brian Clough

The problem with doing this every month is, sooner or later we're either going to run out of people who deserve to go in, or we're going to have elected the obvious people and we'll just have baseball fans voting for baseball players, football fans voting for footballers etc.

1. Sir Steven Redgrave

2. Bjorn Borg

3. Bobby Moore

4. Miguel Indurain

5. Alex Higgins

1. Billy Bremner

2. Don Bradman

3. Bjorn Borg

4. Steve Redgrave

5. Seve Ballesteros (technically only retired in 2007 but he wasn't really competing at this point, if I can't have him then Jack Nicklaus)

Edit: Come on Jam, we'll get King Billy in here sooner or later.

Ballesteros is good

1. Bobby Moore

2. Steve Redgrave

3. Bjorn Borg

4. Joe Frasier

5. Brian Clough

The problem with doing this every month is, sooner or later we're either going to run out of people who deserve to go in, or we're going to have elected the obvious people and we'll just have baseball fans voting for baseball players, football fans voting for footballers etc.

You mean Joe Frazier the boxer?

Yes, I do.

There have been more then enough great athletes in history for us to cover 3 per month. There is nothing wrong with people voting for fans of sports they like.

I didn't explain my point well. There is nothing wrong with people voting for sports they like, the problem may oocur that say, a Basketball fan will nominate 5 basketball players. Then a Tennis fan that knows nothing about basketball will vote for 5 tennis players, and no-one will appear on 20% of votes ever.

And not wanting to start an argument, but Lucas Radebe? He was OK, but next month I may as well nominate Gary Pallister and Neil Ruddock.

Edited by timmayy Makabe

1. Billy Bremner

2. Don Revie

3. Bobby Moore

4. Brian Clough

5. Thomas Brolin Lucas Radebe

Seriously, you're nominating Brian Clough? For shame, Jam, for shame.

And Radebe was a shining light in South African football, he's done lots of work in the communities in South Africa and is perhaps their greatest ever player, I wouldn't nominate him myself (just yet), but he's a far better shout than Gary Pallister and Razor.

1. Billy Bremner

2. Don Revie

3. Bobby Moore

4. Brian Clough

And Radebe was a shining light in South African football, he's done lots of work in the communities in South Africa and is perhaps their greatest ever player, I wouldn't nominate him myself (just yet), but he's a far better shout than Gary Pallister and Razor.

I know he sucked for us, but his interviews crack me up seriously. Plus I want as many football people in this as possible

1. Sir Steven Redgrave

2. Bjorn Borg

3. Bobby Moore

4. Miguel Indurain

5. Alex Higgins

The snooker player?

1. Billy Bremner

2. Don Revie

3. Bobby Moore

4. Brian Clough

I know he sucked for us, but his interviews crack me up seriously. Plus I want as many football people in this as possible

Don't want to tell you how to vote but you do know Maradona is still out there to be voted on right?

Edited by sahyder1

1. Sir Steven Redgrave

2. Bjorn Borg

3. Bobby Moore

4. Miguel Indurain

5. Alex Higgins

The snooker player?

1. Billy Bremner

2. Don Revie

3. Bobby Moore

4. Brian Clough

Don't want to tell you how to vote but you do know Maradona is still out there to be voted on right?

A cheat and a drug addict? Hardly HOF material as good as he was.

And Jam, I was referring more to him telling Revie's team (when he took over) that they were filthy cheats and they didn't deserve to win the titles/cups they won. Fair play to him for his achievements with Forest (not so much Derby since they only won the league because we were forced to play our final league game 36 hours after one of the most hard fought cup finals ever) but I couldn't bring myself to nominate him. :/

To get these threads flowing a little bit it wouldn't be the worst idea in the world for people to also start mentioning why they're voting for certain people. Keep in mind that this is an EWB opinion poll as far as the HOF is concerned....there aren't many guidelines other then the few listed on the first page of the thread. Saying you're voting for someone just because you were a fan is a completely valid reason. Voting for someone more mainstream will obviously help get those guys elected sooner....but if just voting for someone because you liked them is your cup of team (or coffee....or chocolate milk :shifty:) go right ahead.

With that said my guys:

Jim Thorpe - One of the greatest pure athletes produced anywhere in any era.

Don Bradman - Cricket is my favorite sport. Amazing career #s. Has career #s that will be never touched again.

Diego Maradona - One of my favorite soccer players ever. Went and saw a lot of his older stuff long after it happened. One of my earliest soccer memories is his suspension from the '94 World Cup. I was living in Pakistan at the time and with the World Cup being in the US I used to wake up every night in the middle night to watch every single game of the tournament.

Jack Nicklaus - Greatest golfer ever. People forget that in addition to winning the most major tournaments ever he also finished 2nd an insane amount of times. I'm forgetting the year right now but it was late 90s when he unexpectedly finished 5th......fun weekend of golf.

Ted Williams - One of the 2 or 3 greatest hitters ever produced in baseball. Gave up part of the prime his career serving in the military.